Error when syncing

Does anybody know how to fix a sync error with the desktop client?
In my installation with about 30 members, something went wrong somewhere.
Might be a broken share or a missing file.

Problem in the desktop sync client:
“A HTTP transmission error happened. The server file discovery reply is missing data.
/path/to/local/folder”

At first I thought it was the client, but the server fails the communication.
I noticed and exception takes place, but I cannot see what the exception is.
Something with remote.php.

Who can help me?

Ok everybody, I got an answer and it is a working solution.

The sync I meantioned kept occurring until I suddenly fixed it.

Problem:
“A HTTP transmission error happened. The server file discovery reply is missing data.
/path/to/local/folder”

Here is my problem solving solution.

1. Open de Log on the server. Contact the sysadmin if required. The first log is under /var/log/httpd/[yourHost]. Look for errors in particular.

I did find some errors, but no specific.
The sync still did not work, due to the error!

1. Open the nextcloud log. This is mostly in the data folder of Nextclouds installation. The format is JSON. So make sure you can read it. It might give a clue.
    The sync still did not work, due to the error!

2. Try disabling apps in your installation. Don’t worry. What you can disable, you can reenable too!
    In my case the sync immediatly started to work when I disabled file sharing.

Diving into this problem I opened the feature ‘Shares > shared with me’.

I found a share that was suspicious.
The referred share was originating from a share I had no rights to open.
After removing that share the sync started working again…

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I had the same problem. This turned up in my logs:

> [no app in context] Error: Icewind\SMB\Exception\ForbiddenException: Invalid request for /<username> (ForbiddenException) at <<closure>>
> 
>  0. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Native/NativeState.php line 62
>     Icewind\SMB\Exception\Exception::fromMap({1: "Icewind\\SM ... "}, 1, "/<username>")
>  1. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Native/NativeState.php line 74
>     Icewind\SMB\Native\NativeState->handleError("/<username>")
>  2. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Native/NativeState.php line 184
>     Icewind\SMB\Native\NativeState->testResult("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***", "smb://<IP-ADRES-SMBSERVER>/usershares/<username>")
>  3. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Native/NativeShare.php line 133
>     Icewind\SMB\Native\NativeState->stat("smb://<IP-ADDRESS SMBSERVER>/usershares/<username>")
>  4. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/3rdparty/icewind/smb/src/Native/NativeShare.php line 112
>     Icewind\SMB\Native\NativeShare->getStat("/<username>")
>  5. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php line 178
>     Icewind\SMB\Native\NativeShare->stat("/<username>")
>  6. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php line 296
>     OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->getFileInfo("/<username>")
>  7. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Common.php line 454
>     OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->stat("")
>  8. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Storage/SMB.php line 612
>     OC\Files\Storage\Common->test()
>  9. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/config.php line 274
>     OCA\Files_External\Lib\Storage\SMB->test("*** sensitive parameter replaced ***", "*** sensitive parameter replaced ***")
> 10. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Controller/StoragesController.php line 256
>     OC_Mount_Config::getBackendStatus("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
> 11. /var/www/nextcloud/apps/files_external/lib/Controller/UserGlobalStoragesController.php line 122
>     OCA\Files_External\Controller\StoragesController->updateStorageStatus("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
> 12. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 170
>     OCA\Files_External\Controller\UserGlobalStoragesController->show(2, "*** sensitive parameter replaced ***")
> 13. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 99
>     OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(OCA\Files_Extern ... {}, "show")
> 14. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 126
>     OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(OCA\Files_Extern ... {}, "show")
> 15. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php line 47
>     OC\AppFramework\App::main("OCA\\Files_Exte ... r", "show", OC\AppFramework\ ... {}, {id: "2",_route: ... "})
> 16. <<closure>>
>     OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke({id: "2",_route: ... "})
> 17. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 297
>     undefinedundefinedcall_user_func(OC\AppFramework\ ... {}, {id: "2",_route: ... "})
> 18. /var/www/nextcloud/lib/base.php line 997
>     OC\Route\Router->match("/apps/files_ext ... 2")
> 19. /var/www/nextcloud/index.php line 42
>     OC::handleRequest()
> 
> GET /index.php/apps/files_external/userglobalstorages/2?testOnly=false
> from <IP ADDRESS gateway> by <username> at 2020-01-24T07:50:22+00:00

The problem occurred after I changed my Active Directory password (I have LDAP integration). I use an external storage SMB for which I use my AD credentials. After I gave in my new credentials in Nextcloud (in the browser), the error in the sync client was gone.

Hopefully this can help others.

kr
Wouter

1 Like

Thanks…That fixed it for me.