It’s just a wild guess, so I’m not sure if that’s actually what’s happening here.
But maybe the client is referring to the server side. For example, if you’re already syncing your entire Nextcloud account’s folder structure, let’s say to /home/youruser/Nextcloud, I’d say you can’t then sync part of it again to a different location on your PC.
And yes, that’s exactly what would happen from the server’s perspective if you synced an additional folder on your PC, such as /home/youruser/anotherfolder, to your Nextcloud server. This folder would then be part of the folder structure on your Nextcloud server, that is already synchronised with the folder /home/youruser/Nextcloud.
I have checked that and its not an issue. The service provider changed their url so I had to delete the service and reset the new one, of 5 folders sysnc’ed before the change 3 worked fine and two have this error message. For some reason the client thinks these are already sync’ed when they are not. I have deleted the files suggested in the directory but I am unable to work out why the client thinks the folders are sync’ed.
Sorry, I’m not sure why that happens or how to properly solve the issue. Maybe, as a workaround, you remove the account from the client again, then move or rename the affected folders locally (or all local sync folders) and then try to download/resync everything from scratch again.
BTW, you’re right. In the meantime, I tested the scenario I described above, and apparently I was wrong. It is actually possible to sync additional folder pairs even if the parent folder on the Nextcloud side is already included in another folder pair that’s being synced. However, the files would then of course be duplicated on the PC afterwards, unless you exclude that folder from the first sync.
Creating new folders would be a solution, however one of the tow folders I sync is the “Pictures” folder which is a system folder and I think trying to recreate that will be havoc on five separate MacBooks.
What I need to do is identify why the sync client thinks the folder is already being sync’ed, a useful feature would be the ability to over ride the warning message and continue when you are confident the folder is not sync’ed.