Error of etag with big files : "no e-tag received from server, check proxy/gateway"

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Red Hat 4.8.5-44
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.48
PHP version (eg, 7.4): PHP 7.4.33

The issue you are facing:

I uploads backups from my phone with android nextcloud app autouploads option on a daily basis, and they upload well on the server, but then I cannot delete them if I want to, and I think it’s due to the fact that they are still trying to sync : indeed, they don’t sync from the server to my computer, with this error “no e-tag received from server, check proxy/gateway”

they are usually files from more than 200 Mo, and I’m on a shared hosting, I don’t think I can have access to the proxy configuration (maybe I missed it somewhere, I could ask my provider if I know exactly what I’m asking them, but I’m reluctant to it because they told me that I was not allowed to run nextcloud, even though that was not specified in the offer, so they tolerate it for now… i’m gonna move sometime soon, but I still want to figure this out !)

Do you know why this happens ? what could cause the problem of etag ? And how to fix that ?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. upload files bigger than 200 Mo with android nextcloud app, wait until the upload is complete (it usually don’t succeed at first try, so it does it in multiple parts)
  2. go on computer to see if they will sync with the nexcloud desktop app
  3. they cannot synd due to an error of E-tag not received from server

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

1 <?php
      2 $CONFIG = array (
      3   'instanceid' => '************',
      4   'passwordsalt' => '******************************',
      5   'secret' => '************************************************',
      6   'trusted_domains' =>
      7   array (
      8     0 => 'nextcloud.hugulumu.fr',
      9   ),
     10   'datadirectory' => '/home/********/nextclouddata',
     11   'dbtype' => 'mysql',
     12   'version' => '25.0.3.2',
     13   'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://nextcloud.hugulumu.fr/nextcloud',
     14   'dbname' => '****************',
     15   'dbhost' => 'localhost',
     16   'dbport' => '',
     17   'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
     18   'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
     19   'dbuser' => '****************',
     20   'dbpassword' => '**********',
     21   'installed' => true,
     22   'maintenance' => false,
     23   'filelocking.enabled' => true,
     24   'theme' => '',
     25   'loglevel' => 1,
     26   'app_install_overwrite' =>
     27   array (
     28     0 => 'ownpad',
     29   ),
     30   'updater.secret' => '************************************************************',
     31   'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 90',
     32 );

Same problem when updating to Nextcloud 27.1.0, in the same way I am on shared hosting and I do not have access to the proxy.

Update (Solution):
After weeks, in my case I found the problem, apparently the CDN was activated by the hosting to the domain where Nextcloud is, causing this problem, I already deactivated it and now it works correctly.