Err_ssl_protocol_error

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (13.0.2snap1):
Operating system and version (Ubuntu 16.04):
Apache or nginx version (Apache 2.4.18-2ubuntu3):
PHP version (7.0+35ubuntu6):

The issue you are facing:
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): YES

Steps to replicate it:

1. if acces nextcloud from outside (outside IP) I have this error.
    If acces nextcloud in local network I can acces via https with no problem.
    I installed nextlcoud from this instruction

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

no logs

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

cat /var/snap/nextcloud/6916/nextcloud/config/config.php 
<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'apps_paths' => 
  array (
    0 => 
    array (
      'path' => '/snap/nextcloud/current/htdocs/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
    1 => 
    array (
      'path' => '/var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/extra-apps',
      'url' => '/extra-apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'supportedDatabases' => 
  array (
    0 => 'mysql',
  ),
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => '/tmp/sockets/redis.sock',
    'port' => 0,
  ),
  'passwordsalt' => '*****',
  'secret' => '*****',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => '192.168.1.XXX',
  ),
'datadirectory' => '/var/snap/nextcloud/common/nextcloud/data',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://localhost',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '13.0.2.1',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:/tmp/sockets/mysql.sock',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbpassword' => '******',
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => '*******',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

no apache log in /var/log/

Hi,

Please never ever post your credentials/ passwords anywhere on the Internet. I just edited your post and removed the sensitive data. But please treat your compromised!

Regarding your issue:
You don’t have a domain, do you? Does Nextcloud run on your PC/ laptop where you are also using the browser to access the Nextcloud instance?

1 Like

@Schmu: Did you redact a domain name in the above screenshot? I’m asking because of your question “You don’t have a domain, do you?” (the configuration does not contain an anonymized domain name).

@optimistic5: I came across the same ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR yesterday–if you actually try to reach the mentioned Nextcloud instance using a public (sub)domain name, you might want to check whether you use Origin’s 1.1.1.1 DNS server on the client machine. If that is the case, try to temporarily switch to, e.g., 8.8.8.8 (Google) and compare the results. If the error vanishes, here’s what’s the likely underlying reason: By accessing 1.1.1.1, query results may differ if the target domain is/was served by Cloudflare and there’s (still) an IP address that is part of their network associated with that domain (in that case, there’s a possibility that returned IP addresses differ; this is by design to speed things up).

1 Like

No, I didn’t. There was really no domain name in his copied config file.

thanks, I checked before submitting the post, but missed it.

I forgot to mention that I did self signed certificate for IP adress, I have no domain yet.
I have this error when access nextcloud from other network with external IP.
I can access nextcloud without any problem at my local network with local IP.

m_ueberall
So you said that I should change my dns configuration at computer from I want to connect my nextcloud?
I don’t see this is the issue because I tried connect from different locations.

If I made self signed SSL certificate can I access nextcloud with external IP?

As long as you can ensure that at least one of the machines you use to connect to your Nextcloud instance is not using Origin’s 1.1.1.1, you can rule out the case mentioned above.

Yes, as long as the certificate is accepted by the clients. Note that a certificate is linked to a domain (the IP address of the server is irrelevant as long as it can be reached), so you need to ensure that the Nextcloud server accepts requests under that domain name and that all machines use that very domain name to access the Nextcloud server.
(ssl - How to create a self-signed certificate for a domain name for development on Windows 10 and below? - Stack Overflow might be worth a read.)

1 Like

thanks for help. looks like I can’t solve this problem. I’ll try to get ssl with domain.