Encryption for a single folder

Hi,
Can anyone help with a functionality which was announced in the nc blog for nc13:

• can encrypt data on a per-folder level rather than all-or-nothing approach

How can that be achieved?

kr,
Martin

Hi Martin,

you have to enable the End-to-End Encryption app.

Then I was able to create an encrypted folder via the android app.
With the desktop client under linux … no success.

I will test, if the windows desktop client works with E2E Encryption.

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,
thank you for your answer.
Is there a difference between the “Default encryption app” and the “end-to-end encryption” which you refer to?

kr,
Martin

The default encryption app encrypts on the server and all the files of a user. Encryption keys are stored on the server.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_files/encryption_configuration.html?highlight=encryption

The end2end app encrypts on the clients - folder based - and the files can not be read in the webapp.

Hello, Guddl,
Thank you for the prerelease information.
The Windows client now works fine, even encrypting a single folder.

Unfortunately, the iOS app doesn’t seem to work, do you know if it’s already updated? I am currently using version 2.19.3.00001 with NC 13

I can neither encrypt a folder nor access an encrypted one, nor am I asked for the key sequence.
I get the following error message:

E2EE-ERROR
<NSHTTPURLResponse: > { URL: xxxxxxxxx/ocs/v2.php/apps/end_to_end_ecryption/api/v1/lock/ …… Status Code 403 …

Thank you very much for your answer.
J-O-W

I think you have to switch to some beta version of the iOS app.

I read it somewhere … but don’t find it at the moment.

I just played a little bit more …

The E2E Folder works fine on android.

When I connect my Windows client, the files will not be en-/decrypted.

The two encrypted files are from the android device. The “Neue Ordner” and “SnipImage.jpg” were added on the Windows client. The "SnipImage.jpg is not encrypted.

nc-e2e-windows-client

Hello, guddl,
thanks again for the info regarding iOS beta, unfortunately I didn’t find anything about it here. I guess I’ll have to wait for the next version.

To all - we’re working on readying a new build, should come later this week or, latest, early next week!

2 Likes

Nice :grin: