Enabling an old OC app in NC 13

I’m trying to enable an app that works fine in NC13, but can’t be installed in a new instance. The app does not exist in the Nextcloud App site.

I installed the old ownCloud Mozilla Sync app in Nextcloud 12 (it works great for Pale Moon) and it installed fine and works flawlessly. I’ve since upgraded to NC 13 (currently 13.0.4) and it still works perfectly.

However I’ve built a new server and installed NC13 clean, and the app won’t install. I’ve extracted the app’s zip into “nextcloud/apps” and it now shows in apps, but when I try to enable it I get the error message “Could not download app mozilla_sync”.

Is there a way to install it on a new NC13? Will it work if I change something in it’s info.xml?

I would really appreciate any advice!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, FreeBSD 11.2, and PHP7.2, Apache 2.4.34

Yes in the info file there should be a min and max version, so you adjust that, and should be able to reenable it.
Probably look into an enabled app and copy that strings over.

Inside …/Nextcloud/apps/mozilla_sync/appinfo/info.xml the container for Dependencies should look like:

<dependencies>
	<php min-version="5.6" max-version="7"/>
	<nextcloud min-version="13" max-version="13"/>
</dependencies>

Save info.xml and you should be able to activate the app like usual.

Thanks, I actually tried that and it didn’t work. I copied over the dependency line but I had the same error, “Could not download app mozilla_sync”.

I hadn’t tried the php version before, just the NC version, so it was a great idea, but I’m still getting the same “Could not download app mozilla_sync” error. I tried adding the line about the github link, but that didn’t help either.

I restarted Apache without success, I even tried restarted the machine without success. I still get the frustrating “Could not download app mozilla_sync” error.

Thankyou you both for the advice, but I don’t think it’s as simple as adding the versions (though I’m sure it was a factor). Is there a way of avoiding the “Could not download app mozilla_sync” error?

I’ve tried using Pale Moon, Edge, and Vivaldi.

Just download a new copy of the app, extract it to …/Nextcloud/apps/mozilla_sync, edit info.xml as described above, set the correct ownership to …/Nextcloud/apps/mozilla_sync (probably www-data.www-data) and you should be able to activate the app from your Nextcloud Admin-Account as you do it for other apps.

I removed the app from my machine, re-downloaded the zip and extracted it, then changed the owner and group to “www” (that’s the owner and group Nextcloud uses on FreeBSD).

I added the lines you suggested, but I’m still getting the same “Could not download app mozilla_sync” error. Below is the app’s entire info.xml file - is there anything else you can see is missing?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<info>
        <id>mozilla_sync</id>
        <name>Mozilla Sync</name>
        <description>Use your ownCloud server to synchronize your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords, settings between multiple devices. Works for Firefox on Desktop and Firefox on Android.</description>
        <licence>AGPL</licence>
        <author>Michal Jaskurzynski, Oliver Gasser</author>
        <require>4.93</require>
        <remote>
           <mozilla_sync>appinfo/remote.php</mozilla_sync>
        </remote>
        <dependencies>
        </dependencies>
</info>

Dunno whether it makes a difference, here come our info.xml (still from old owncloud-times):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<id>mozilla_sync</id>
<name>Mozilla Sync</name>
<description>Use your ownCloud server to synchronize your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords, settings between multiple devices. Works for Firefox on Desktop and Firefox on Android.</description>
<licence>AGPL</licence>
<author>Michal Jaskurzynski, Oliver Gasser</author>
<dependencies>
</dependencies>
<remote>
   <mozilla_sync>appinfo/remote.php</mozilla_sync>
</remote>

Ok, I need to backtrack. I think the problem is that I somehow munted MySQL.

I was looking over everything to see if I could spot anything obvious, and in my config.php there’s a “1” after the “dbuser” name that I didn’t notice before. I think I somehow managed to double things up in MySQL and that’s causing me intermittent issues.

To test my theory, I logged into MySQL, dropped the Nextcloud database, deleted the config.php, and tried to start again. There is now a “2” after the name and I’m getting internal server errors.

sigh I hate it when it’s something stupid I’ve done, and I don’t know how I did it. (And I’m not even sure it’s the actual cause.) I’ll have a play with MySQL and let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks for your help! You let me know I was on the right track with my info.xml!

Use phpmyadmin to clean MYSQL it is the easier way and delete there on the main site “USERS” the entries ending up with nextcloud 1 or 2 … and then delete your database and start up new.
Long time ago I had the same problem and I remember what to do

Well, crap. I already wiped mysql. I only get a few hours every few days to play with this stuff, so I wiped, reinstalled mysql, and stopped there. I haven’t got back to it yet.

I actually considered installing phpmyadmin to take a look and try to fix it, but figured it would ultimately take longer. About 30 minutes ago, I got a message from my stepson saying he’s coming over to do a couple of loads of washing. sigh

Thankyou though, you’re just told me my thoughts weren’t crazy!

As I said I had the same problems long time ago.

I searched a long time as well but then I saw that whenever I installed Nextcloud together with nextcloud mysql database new

a new useraccount was added. It started with nextcloud then nextcloud1 then nextcloud2 …

S I deleted all those users as well started from beginning and all was fine.

:slight_smile:

@Tamsy @Tom63 @dev0

Thanks for your advice everyone. I couldn’t get it working, no matter what I did. I always got that “The app could be downloaded” error. I think there’s issues with running NC on FreeBSD.

I had issues with both Contacts and Calendar apps as well - they wouldn’t initialise and so I couldn’t create any entries. I got them working by exporting the tables from MySQL on my old machine, and importing them into the Nextcloud database on my new machine. They worked flawlessly after that.

I tried to do the same thing with Mozilla Sync, but it didn’t work.

One of the things I tried when I got desperate, was install ownCloud to see if that would work. OC actually gave me a warning stating that FreeBSD was an unsupported platform, but then seemed to install anyway. I had the same issues with Contacts and Calendar on ownCloud.

So, there you go. I was able to get around the issues on supported apps, but not Mozilla Sync :frowning: I’m planning on setting up a Mozilla Sync server on a Raspberry Pi or something later, but in the meantime I’m using Pale Moon’s server.

Thanks everyone for your input, it was really good to bounce ideas around :slight_smile: