Enable encryption

Hello,

Is it save to enable the encryption with 100 GB of files on the server? What happens when the server stops the process, or what ever can be happen? Also is it possible to use Nextant and OCR with encryption enabled?

Not all apps are compatible with the encryption app, please test this before you enable it (I don’t know if there is a list with compatible apps). Also note that the encryption app only protects data if they are store on an external storage. On local storage, there is very little benefit and the encryption makes many things much more complicated.

My files are stored on the same rootserver. Okay, I don’t know that the encryption App only encrypt files on an external Storage and not the Data Directory.

Thanks for your info.

The encryption app shows nothing to edit or create an encryption key. Also the user has no entry’s.

The server log shows:

Error
core
an hour ago
Default encryption module not loaded

What’s happen here?

encryption not working for me:

SSH:

root@h2622464:/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud# sudo -u lars php occ encryption:set-default-module OC_DEFAULT_MODULE
"OC_DEFAULT_MODULE"" is already the default module
root@h2622464:/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud# sudo -u lars php occ encryption:status
  - enabled: true
  - defaultModule: OC_DEFAULT_MODULE

You can do both, but on local storage there is little benefit and you are vulnerable to all the bugs with the encryption app. I haven’t used encryption app for a long time, but at some point all problems I had were related to the encryption app. I protected some sensitive data with encryption containers (client-side encryption).

On you last screenshot, I don’t see any errors. Are the files still unencrypted?

It seems encryption working and I can decrypt all files. But the encryption app spamming with “default encryption module not loaded” but it was activated.

I the this at the error log:

OC\Encryption\Exceptions\ModuleDoesNotExistsException: Default encryption module not loaded
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Encryption/Manager.php - line 201: OC\Encryption\Manager->getDefaultEncryptionModule()
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php - line 1017: OC\Encryption\Manager->getEncryptionModule()
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php - line 447: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->shouldEncrypt('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/LocalTempFileTrait.php - line 66: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->fopen('files_external/...', 'r')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/LocalTempFileTrait.php - line 49: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->toTmpFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Encryption.php - line 778: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->getCachedFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php - line 360: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Encryption->getLocalFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php - line 360: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper->getLocalFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php - line 360: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper->getLocalFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php - line 242: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper->getLocalFile('files_external/...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Security/CertificateManager.php - line 227: OC\Files\View->getLocalFile('/files_external...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/Client.php - line 74: OC\Security\CertificateManager->getAbsoluteBundlePath(NULL)
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Http/Client/Client.php - line 137: OC\Http\Client\Client->setDefaultOptions()
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/settings/Controller/CheckSetupController.php - line 125: OC\Http\Client\Client->get('http //www.gith...')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/settings/Controller/CheckSetupController.php - line 108: OC\Settings\Controller\CheckSetupController->isSiteReachable('www.github.com')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/settings/Controller/CheckSetupController.php - line 414: OC\Settings\Controller\CheckSetupController->isInternetConnectionWorking()
[internal function] OC\Settings\Controller\CheckSetupController->check()
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php - line 160: call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php - line 90: OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\CheckSetupController), 'check')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php - line 114: OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(OC\Settings\Controller\CheckSetupController), 'check')
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php - line 47: OC\AppFramework\App main('OC\\Settings\\Con...', 'check', Object(OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer), Array)
[internal function] OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke(Array)
/var/www/vhosts/larsmueller.net/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Rout

Please report this at github.com/nextcloud/server/issues