eM Client integration with Nextcloud

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/em-client-integration-with-nextcloud/

The integration of Nextcloud (a modern, self-hosted content collaboration platform) and eM Client (a powerful email and productivity app for Windows and macOS) allows you to send files as links to your Nextcloud storage. It’s easier, faster and safer. You can also upload email attachments from eM Client directly to Nextcloud.

Introducing eM Client

eM Client is built to improve your email management and boost your productivity.

It combines email, calendar, tasks, contacts, notes and chat in a clean and simple desktop app.

eM Client is the only email app on the market with instant message translation and handy features such as:

• Snooze Email
  • Watch for Reply
  • Send Email Later
  • All Attachments view
  • Online Meetings support
  • Easy to use tools for enforcing a company-wide email encryption policy (PGP and S/MIME)

Learn more at www.emclient.com.

How it works

Simply connect eM Client and Nextcloud, log into your Nextcloud account once, and you’re all set
(the detailed instructions can be found here).

Using Nextcloud for sending attachments gives you these important benefits:

1. Emails with cloud attachments are much smaller in size – this can be especially useful when sending large files or large amounts of files and could be especially appreciated by users in areas with poor internet connection.
  2. Sent files are not limited in size such as local attachments. The only limitation is the upload limit of your Nextcloud storage.
  3. Already sent files can be further updated or removed at any time.
  4. Additional safety layer for your attachments can be added – such as a password protection, as well as an expiration date. You can also set a file to read-only mode. This gives you better control over your data and makes sending files safer overall.

copy paste

1 Like

It would be great if it’s also integrates contacts, calendar and notes from nextcloud into em client.

Should be possible since the client supports caldav

/Johan

I liked everything about eM Client, when I saw this news’s heading, I was like awwww fantastic, cause I thought that I can integrate eM Client just like Rainloop email app, but now I think this integration only involves accessing Nexcloud storage for attachment. Correct me if am wrong.

You can also connect your Nextcloud calendar and contacts.

https://portal.smartertools.com/kb/a2964/configure-carddav-and-caldav-for-em-client.aspx

But yes, they are still two seperate applications. It’s not an app you can install directly in Nextcloud. At least if I understand correctly how it all works.

Update / Addition:

I just now realized, that eM Client is a desktop-only mail client, and it’s also Windows and macOS only. It also dosen’t seem to be FOSS. So you can’t compare it with Rainloop anyway, which is purely web-based and more important… FOSS.

2 Likes

Connecting your calendar and contacts using caldav and carddav has been easily possible for years now for any client that supports these protocols. I’ve been doing that with Rainloop and it’s really nice. I can only recommend that combo.

2 Likes

Yes, but you are mixing up different things here.

eM Client is a Mail Sofware with quiet a few nice features by the looks of it. And they intedruced a feature, which makes it very easy to send or drop atachements from or to your Nextcloud.

Then the question came up if eM Client can access calendars, and contacts of Nextcloud too, which is possible via CalDAV/CardDAV and probably was possible for a long time and has nothing to do with this new Nextcloud Files integration.

Then the question came up if eM Client has similiar level of integration as the Rainloop App from the Nextcloud App Store has, which I answered with: “You can do many of the same things (CardDAV/CalDAV), but it is not as nicely integrated, because they are still two completley separate apps.”

And now you say that Rainloop can also do CardDAV/CalDAV. That’s nice and I find that too, Most email clients can do that by the way. But none of them has Nextcloud Files integration like the eM Client has… And thats what this thread is all about. :wink:

Update / Addition:

Looks like i am mixing up diffrent things too… :wink:

I just now realized, that eM Client is a desktop-only mail client, and it’s also Windows and macOS only. It also dosen’t seem to be FOSS. So you can’t compare it with Rainloop anyway, which is purely web-based and more important… FOSS. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, it would be much fun if it was possible to integrated em client just as one of Nextcloud, that’s just my wish😊. Rainloop is by far a great app, i hope attachment from Nextcloud files will be available some day.

1 Like

I’m having difficulty getting this to work. I have set up EMClient with infomaniak, my nextcloud provider, using https://189288.connect.infomaniak.com/. I have no idea what local path is supposed to be so I’ve tried various things such as my downloads folder and now my documents folder that syncs with kdrive on my Mac. After entering in the https://189288.connect.infomaniak.com/ address, whether or not I have a local path specified, whatever that means, then I am prompted for a user name and password. It seems to work and I see nextcloud under the Cloud Storage Providers in EMClient. However, when I try testing it every email comes back as undeliverable due to the large attachment. So what am I doing wrong?