Edit account settings in iOS client

Hello all,

I had to change my DynDNS provider, so the URL that redirects to my NC instance has changed. That‘s why I need to edit / change the account settings in all my iOS clients.

Since I sync the photo roll off the whole familie‘s iPhones and iPads I can‘t / don‘t want to „change“ the account settings by adding a new account because that would mean that I‘d have to restart syncing the whole photo roll of all our iOS devices (between last successful sync and now, new photos and videos have been taken).

Unfortunately I can‘t find an edit account option. Does anyone have a hint for me, how to edit the account settings in iOS app or how to manage this situation without having to restart syncing the whole photo rolls?

Thanks in advance!

AFAICS there is currently no way to change server URL inside the app.

Please search Issues · nextcloud/ios · GitHub

Did not get your procedure?

You have all photos on each device and uploaded to your NC?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! I had a look to the GitHub bug list of iOS app, but didn‘t find a solution regarding editing account data…

I use the automatic upload function of Nextcloud app, tomsync all photos and videos from photo roll. Photos and videos are not deleted automatically, but from times to times manually.

After having them synced to NC, we sort photos and videos away to another directory and sort those files out, which we don‘t longer want to save.

I have faced the situation a few times, that the syncronisation between app and NC server „got lost“ so that I had to restart the sync with the whole photo roll. This not only takes a lot of time, it also means that I have many duplicates on my NC server. For every device, which I have to restart sync from scratch. This means, I have to find all the duplictates and delete them, which is a lot of work. So I am worried to have to restart the sync because of starting with a brand new account/connection (deleting the old account inside of the app and entering a new account, just with another URL).

Unfortunatle, I couldn‘t manage to tweak a DNS entry for my old URL, since my internet router (AVM Fritz!Box) doesn‘t support this. Maybe I could setup a local DNS Server and set the local IP of my NC server to finish the sync of my clients. After that, I could restart with the new URL. Since I could be sure, that no new photos have bee taken after having finished syning with the old URL, I then could setup with the new URL, without having to start the sync process with the whole photo roll (but only with new photos and videos).

But all very complicated and time consuming. Could be so easy, if account settings cold be edited.

Any other hints? Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

To change URLs globally, I think it should work if you redirect old URL permanently to the new one (http status code 301). It implies that clients should update the URL (in contrast to temporary redirects, code 302).

Just had a quick chat with the developers. It is not possible at the moment.

The problem is, that my former DynDNS service provider has technical problems himself so that he can‘t offer me a solution. DNS requests for my server cannot be resolved any longer. Therefore I‘d have to tweak DNS with a self-hosted DNS server…

@rakekniven: Do you see any chance for a coming app version to offer this feature?

Thanks all!

Feel free to file a feature request at GitHub (link in previous post).

I have done so a few minutes ago. We‘ll see, whether and when this will be realized… In the meanwhile I maybe will setup a local DNS server with a static IP setting for the old server URL…

Don’t hold your breath. For the Android app, this exact feature request was opened in June 2019, and it’s still open :wink:

Well, I don’t expect much… I just had a short look on the request you mentioned for Android app. At least there was a discussion about it. But the request also included some automatism, which I would not ask for. I‘ll have to read about the security issues that where mentioned in that request, because I don‘t see the security issue yet. Maybe I do after reading…

On a desktop computer you can easily take the hosts file and then statically resolve the hostname to your server’s ip. On a mobile, it is a bit more difficult. If you have your DNS resolver in your local network, you can probably do that as well (e.g. if you use that for an add blocker).