Edge/Chrome AddIn only works for a short time

Hello everyone,

I’ve had the Passwords app installed on our Nextcloud server for a long time and I also use it in Edge without any problems. Now I have distributed instructions to all users asking them to use the PW Manager. Unfortunately, several (not all) users now have the problem that the Edge AddIn works without any problems immediately after setting it up. But after a restart nothing works anymore. Either nothing is displayed anymore or the passwords cannot be inserted.
Here are two pictures of it.

I see the following errors in the Nextcloud log.

However, LDAP actually works without any problems and I can query every user as a test. Here are the LDAP settings. I have already checked the user and password.

I did the test a few minutes after the error messages in Edge and in the log.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

We log in via SAML SSO and simply check whether the user is created in the AD.

I have the following versions
Nextloud 27.1.3
Password 2023.10.30
PHP 8.2.12
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Thanks and greetings, Sascha

I think it’s this bug in the app in relation to SAML logins.

SAML users don’t have a password in Nextcloud. When users connect the browser extension trough the app, the app generates a token with whatever Nextcloud reports as the users password. That then happens to be an empty string.
These tokens work, but only for ~5 min. I guess afterwards, NC tries to revalidate the users password.

Checking if the password is an empty string and then passing null to the NC token service seems to solve the issue.

The next update (end of this week) of the app should fix this, the patch is also already in the nightly build 5155.

Users can bypass the issue with the following steps:

1. In the NC settings go to “Security” > “Apps & Devices”
  2. Create a new app token
  3. In Edge, open edge://extensions/
  4. Click on “Details” for the Passwords extension
  5. Click Extension Options (at the very bottom)
  6. If you already have an account, you should see it. Click on it to show the details
  7. Click “Change App password” and enter the token you generated
  8. Click the “Save/Floppy Disk” icon to update the login data

Hi,

great, thank you very much for the information and the instructions. We’ll now test it to see if it runs without problems. If so, we will pass these instructions on to the users.
I just don’t understand why it’s been working for me for a long time without problems and not for others.

Many greetings, Sascha