Dropbox JPEG compression

Perhaps the following can be very useful to integrate with Nextcloud:

We store a lot of images, normally JPEGs from cams, mobiles etc so this could save 22% storage space.

Possibly give it as an option like Documents app that rely on LibreOffice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool, especially the part about it compressing them losslessly. :heart::heart::heart:

Unfortunately >95% of it are written in C++ which might be a problem.

cc @LukasReschke

There are quite a few hurdles:

1. It needs to be turned into a library
  2. The library needs to be embedded inside a PECL module
  3. It only works if you have powerful hardware
  4. It will slow down some apps like Gallery

The last 2 points are not that important since this would be an app to install, but the first two…

While I agree it sounds cool. And works very well at the scale of dropbox I’m not sure if this is something ‘personal’ nextcloud users care much about.

You are trading space for time (during upload and download). And storage is cheap.

How about using a background service which would only run in the background when nobody uses the cloud? That shouldn’t affect the cloud performance or am I wrong?

I’m managing one owncloud instance of a small local club where members can upload pictures of events and this cloud grows a few GB’s after each event, so an optimization (even if really small) makes a very big difference for me.

Where I imagine this could help in the goal of performance too, is by optimizing the preview images (there would be no problem in optimizing preview-pics lossy, take a look at what tinypng for example does with the owncloud preview images, the effect is really big in terms of file size, but isn’t really visible at the same time) so that views of big image folders would load quicker (if the optimizing is done as background service when nobody uses the cloud of course)

1 Like

Once an async background job for thumbnails lands in the server, then it won’t make much of a difference in terms of performance since apps like Gallery will use the generated previews and not touch the original files, stored in the lepton format.

With the thumbnail problem sorted out, this would be a real boon once there is a client-side decoder (JS based or through browser support, as well as in the sync clients). In most scenarios I can think of where the full-size image is delivered from the server to the client, processing power is ‘cheaper’ than bandwidth on the client side, so having the option for compatible clients to request the leptonised files would be great.