Download whole folder

Hi there,

Hope someone can help. I’m using Nextcloud on my Android phone, we have our own server running with it (great!).

I’ve got a problem though:

How can you download a whole folder? I need to download multiple folders from the server to my phone but the only way I can find is to download it file by file but the folders contain hundreds, maybe even thousands of files and subfolders!! That would be way too cumbersome. I can’t find another way, anyone who can help?

Thanks!

Ilona

1 Like

Hi @Ilona,

navigate into the folder with the files you want to download, long click/press on a file which activates the long press menu, go to the menu in the now grey action br and choose select all then via the same menu choose download, done :slight_smile:

Hi Andy,

That works only for files, not for folders. The particular file/folder I’m talking about has a huge amount of folders. Folders in folders in folders in folders. And we’re talking about hundreds… So this would be very inconvenient…

To be able to download a whole folder would be the only way in this case…

Any chance this becomes possible?

Cheers, Ilona

Hi Andy,

That works only on a file base, not for a whole folder?

depends on your point of view, but basically yes. Currently the app doesn’t support arbitraty folder structures to be selected, just files within a folder (on that level)

The android app is great, works great, but it’s a huge deficiency. Is there a workaround?

In the Nextcloud app press the 3 dots next to the folder you wish to download and hit ‘sync’. The folder with its sub folders will download(sync) to your android device. I believe you will then find your content in

Android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/…

1 Like

I don’t know what ‘sync’ does (perhaps sync files only if they are already downloaded?) but it doesn’t download the folder. At least not in my experience.

I’m with OP I have a tall and wide folder structure that it would be of huge help to have synced on my phone. Right now I’m downloading files as I use them but it’s not going to help me when I’m offline. If anybody knows a workaround I’d be very happy to hear…

EDIT: Damn, I only just realised this thread is 5 years old…

EDIT 2: Disregard everything I said. After hours of tapping ‘sync’ up and down the folder structure many many times all of a sudden the Nextcloud app has started syncing some files. I can’t see progress anywhere or a list of files waiting to download for example but the files are starting to appear on the device one by one. Fingers crossed :face_with_peeking_eye: