Download fails - weird situation

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2): 11.0.8
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): debian 8.11 (jessie)
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): apache 2.4.10
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 5.6.40

The issue you are facing:

Download via browser and sync with client from server fails with files larger than 5GB with error “Connection closed”. Files smaller than 5 GB sync with client and download via browser works fine. Upload of the same files via client works fine.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. let the client do the sync, stops with error “Connection closed”

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

Hi, it’s my first post here so sorry for the messy one.

Detailed explanation of the problem: I migrated from ownCloud 9 to Nextcloud 9 which I upgraded first to v10 and now to v11.0.8. Everything works fine except download of files larger than 5GB. Client stops with error Connection closed and web browser just stops at 915MB or 1.38GB, depending on the file I try to download.

If I delete the file from server via web and try to upload that same file with client, it works fine. But sync back to my computer does not work. Sometimes I get “Broken webserver returning empty content length for non-empty file on resume” in the client.

Download of files smaller than 5GB works fine with both client and browser. I checked and double checked php.ini and all config files, I just don’t get it.

This problem did not exist with ownCloud 9 install I had.

There are no errors in any of the logs.

Please help

I am not sure if the client breaks compatibility at some point. The problem is that NC 11 is not supported any more, so you should upgrade up to a supported release (at least 16, or 17). You probably will have to change the configuration at some point any way because you need never php versions.

Since there is no problem with the installation itself (just the syncing with the desktop client), is it possible to go to a supported version and then check the issue with the sync client?

Thx for the answer. Client complained with message server runs unsupported version but since i upgraded to v10 it stoped complaining.
The problem is downloading files larger than 5GB via web browser and client, so it’s not just the client problem.

For php there are different configuration files (and setting can be change by .htaccess and the webserver config). So the best is to check the setting in your webspace with a small test file containing <?php phpinfo(); ?>.

The problem with the old version is, nobody has installed such a version for debug. so nobody can quickly reproduce the problem and some things might be fixed in newer versions or optimized (like configuration options). But these changes are not easily compatible with older version (someone would have to test it). I would go through major versions rather quickly, after each upgrade login, check if everything is working, also enable your apps to make sure these data are converted as well.

Once in a current version, check that the configuration is still up to date with the documentation. The problem with large files is often just an option that is not correctly set or overwritten somewhere. Since you perhaps might have to upgrade your system as well, make sure to use a 64bit system. On 32bit, there were quite a few problems with file sizes >2GB and php.