Don't restart the computer without asking when updating!

What happened?
Tried to update Nextcloud on my Win 10 21H1 because it had a bug and I hoped the devs fixed in the meantime.
Clicked “check for updates” then “update” from 3.5.0 to 3.5.4:

Few seconds later: BOOOOOOM, fck all your data, fck your documents, fck your testbench, we just restart the computer without asking, because you’re just an unimportant fcking user. What the fck is wrong with you guys? Is this “The Purge” or a software update? Stop killing my data and all the external hardware that my computer controls.
Had to restart my computer another time, because this sudden restart f
cked all my Office programs and I couldn’t do anything. As if I don’t already have enough problems and time pressure. Thanks for that!

Already happened when I did the last update - nothing changed, same old sh*t.
See here:

But hey, at least I know the weather everytime I open my Nextcloud web interface. As if there are not enough stupid weather apps. I don’t care about the fcking weather, I want to get my sht done. Focus guys! Make your things work reliably and without upsetting users. Nobody except UI devs and some dreamers care about fancy animations and such things that distract from what you actually want to do.

2 Likes

It should be fixed from 3.5.4 and later (not the updates to 3.5.4):

If the problem still exists for updates from 3.5.4+ to any later versions, please open a bug report on Issues · nextcloud/desktop · GitHub

I had the same issue myself and I agree, this is extremely annoying and must not happen.

3 Likes

Thank you. I have trust issues. Let’s see. Need to remind me to not make Nextcloud updates without a strong reason and without closing, saving, and disconnecting everything.

the habit of close, save and disconnect everything before stating any upgrade procedure is always recommended - unforseen things can always happen and result in a system crash…

2 Likes

While I agree, that absolutely any update should ask the user about restarting or not, I don’t agree with you being mad about lost time and work. Other than understanding it, and using your frustration to let the developers know about this issue. The way you do though, it is uncalled for. Because:

There is either using an appliance, or servicing an appliance. You don’t get your oil changed, while you’re doing a hundred miles on a German Autobahn.

So, this is kind of like a both parties are wrong here situation.

Nextcloud should not restart your computer without prompting the user about it. The user should never service their computer at the same time while using it to work with. When I service a computer of someone who called me in, the first thing I do is ask them to close all the programmes and save all their work. And yes, that sometimes takes a while. But as I said, you don’t fix the engine while it’s running, or things will start breaking even more.

I hope you learn this for future software servicing. Always separate using an appliance and servicing it. There might always be some regression happening without them intending to.

2 Likes

I use more than 30 programs on a daily basis and I do not have time to update all of them as they demand from me. I would be constantly busy updating sh*t.
One update per year is more than enough. People that have no work, hobbies and friends can have nightly or even hourly builts - I want to focus on driving. There is no need for an oil change on a computer because it is not a mechanical component. However, developers think that everyone is just happy about updates. That is not the case. Stop the update madness and focus on programs that work as expected - the reason I updated that moment was because bugs were keeping me from driving in the first place.

While I agree that feature updates should be rolled out as as consolidated and as well tested as possible, there will always be necessary bug fixes and security updates, which you want to get as fast as possible. Also, a sync client is not a self-sufficient system, but must remain compatible with many different operating systems and other dependencies, which are constantly changing. And that’s something the developers of the client have no control over.

Well I guess, one can still have dreams, even if they are unrealistic. :wink:

On the other hand, as long as you don’t need new features and don’t experience any issues on your system, you don’t have to install every update when it’s available. Although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend to stay on old versions for too long, unless you know exactly what you’re doing and can properly assess potential issues and security implications that could arise as a result of unpatched software. Or in other words: You’re more or less on your own, if you decide to use outdated software.

1 Like

More updates because more updates. Got it. I wonder if in 10 years we keep spinning in circles because we stopped working and are only busy updating things, constantly trying to work around bugs that wouldn’t be there if we leaned back for a moment as devs to re-think if it is really necessary to roll out a new major version every 4 month for the sake of doing it. Maybe I’m wrong, but I barely can imaging people are actually “waiting” for updates. Just finish work, keep focusing on eliminating bugs and as soon as everything is finished and triple-checked, release stuff.

I face so many bugs on a daily basis and need to apply so many workarounds which I think wouldn’t be there if everyone would just focus on delivering quality software instead of nightly built stuff just because well someone decided we need a new release today. We’ll all end up having burn-outs if we go down this road.
update update update, every day, every app. This is nuts, we have so many important problems on the planet but we decide to waste it with updating things.