Does Next Cloud have email server or just the email app client?

Does Next Cloud have email server or just the email app clients ?

Just curious what I should be looking to do in order to host my own email and/or clients with nextcloud email etc.

Please advise. Thanks

Just the email app client

For a nextcloud email server you could run mailcow or mail-in-a-box or mailu in addition to your Nextcloud instance. Or setup Postfix, etc. There are endless threads about this on this forum’s search or from google. Cheers!

1 Like

Hi @Captain86

As an addition to what @just said:

While it’s relatively easy with Mail-in-a-Box or Mailcow to get the software side of the mail server running, it’s generally not that easy for your mails to reach the recipients reliably. I don’t know how well you know the subject, but a mail server should ideally run on a dedicated server or VPS with a fixed public IP address that is not on any blacklist. You also need to make sure that all the necessary DNS records are set correctly. Keywords: MX, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and MTA-STS… Mail-in-a-Box is probably the easiest way out there, if you have no experience with hosting your own mail server, as it can also take over the DNS for your domain and configure it automatically. Nevertheless, you should read up on the subject before you start. But the Mail-in-a-Box website is a good starting point and probably all you’ll ever need, if it’s just for home / personal use.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought and just wanted to confirm this.

If I were to setup an email server I am concerned about what others say that the mail could be blocked. I’ll probably have to setup a VM and experiment and see.

1 Like

Let us know how the experiments go!

K thanks. I’m reviewing mailcow and mail in a box ATM.
Mail in a box looks easy to install in comparison but that probably doesn’t make it better I would guess.

I may try both to test things out and post back. Thanks to all for the help

https://maddy.email/ is a single binary mail server written in Go that has support for:

• SMTP
  • IMAP
  • DKIM
  • TLS (including lets encrypt)

and likely many other things.

I think this a move in the right direction for a simple mail server for small businesses/personal use.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll look into this some more.

It took me a while to get things working correctly and I understand more about how to use nextcloud so I may try to implement email server next

So, is it possible to share some feedback about the procedure? Which one did you finally picked?