Does Anyone Know a Solution to This 2FA Issue?

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 21.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Docker desktop WSL2 Ubuntu
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): dunno
PHP version (eg, 7.4): dunno

The issue you are facing:

I keep getting this:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Install the 2FA plugin
  2. Wait?

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Error	core	1 two-factor auth providers failed to load		2021-04-12T15:00:18-0500
Error	core	two-factor auth provider 'totp' failed to load		2021-04-12T15:00:18-0500
Error	core	1 two-factor auth providers failed to load		2021-04-12T15:00:18-0500
Error	core	two-factor auth provider 'totp' failed to load		2021-04-12T15:00:18-0500
Error	core	1 two-factor auth providers failed to load		2021-04-12T15:00:15-0500
Error	core	two-factor auth provider 'totp' failed to load

After installing the app, have you activated it for your user account and linked to a TOTP app? Here you will find screenshots how the settings dialog looks like:

I think there are different ways to get access to your system again:

1. Use your normal credentials to login.

2. Use a backup code to login.

3. Disable the mentioned app on the console using occ.

thank you @j-ed , I will go through it again and double-check everything. The strange thing is it’s “random” when it happens. Sometimes I get the usual (enter your code) screen, others I get the above screen, so I have to guess that I did get it setup right and something is going awry sometimes.

I’ve been using the backup codes up until now, but I’m down to my last code now, and then I’ll have to regenerate a whole new set of backup codes.

I’ve personally never had problems using the different 2fa apps in the past. As long as you follow the required setup steps, everything should work as expected.