Docker image: "This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.1"

I have an Owncloud 8 installation that I am migrating to Nextcloud, using the excellent nextcloud docker images (thank you!).

The migration is almost entirely scripted (with only the exception of a change in LDAP server details, which I do manually via the GUI) and was working fine every time I ran it including last night.

However, this morning the very same script is broken. At the very start of this whole process, I get this:

# docker exec -it nextcloud-9.0 bash -c "sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade"
This version of Nextcloud is not compatible with PHP 7.1.<br/>You are currently running 7.1.2.

Same if I try nextcloud-10.0 as well.

What has changed? :frowning:

I donā€™t think itā€™s relevant for this post, but my migration steps go something like:

• import SQL database from v8
  • copy files from v8
  • Create docker v9 instance; upgrade to v9
  • Create docker v10 instance; upgrade to v10
  • Create docker v11 instance; upgrade to v11

After attempting to put my new v11 instance live yesterday, I found I was hitting an error (I think this one) so I commented out the ā€œupgrade to v11ā€ part of my script, thinking I would re-run it and just stay at v10 until Iā€™d figured out a solution. But now, nothing works :frowning:

FWIW, my docker build script is as follows - sorry, I couldnā€™t upload as an attachment so am pasting it in below. (From memory, the only reason I am grabbing the Dockerfile directly is because I was testing the apache variant when it was first being released) :

#!/bin/sh

if [ "$1" == "" ]; then
        echo Usage: $0 version
        echo e.g. $0 10.0
        exit
fi
NEXTCLOUDVER=$1

if [ -f docker-entrypoint.sh ]; then rm docker-entrypoint.sh; fi
if [ -f Dockerfile ]; then rm Dockerfile; fi

wget https://github.com/nextcloud/docker/raw/master/${NEXTCLOUDVER}/apache/docker-entrypoint.sh https://github.com/nextcloud/docker/raw/master/${NEXTCLOUDVER}/apache/Dockerfile
chmod +x docker-entrypoint.sh

# Stop any running nextcloud instances (if any)
docker ps | grep nextcloud | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 2 -d ' ' | xargs -n 1 docker stop

# Remove the old instance before we rebuild it
docker rm nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER}

docker build -t nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER} . && \
docker run --name nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER} \
        --restart=always \
        -d \
        -p 1.2.3.4:8001:80 \
       -v /data/nextcloud/data:/var/www/data \
       -v /data/nextcloud/apps:/var/www/html/apps \
       -v /data/nextcloud/config:/var/www/html/config \
        nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER}

# needed for LDAPS to work
cat myca.crt | docker exec -i nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER} bash -c 'cat > /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/myca.crt; update-ca-certificates

# Might as well script this in - I use it often enough when debugging!
docker exec -it nextcloud-${NEXTCLOUDVER} bash -c "apt-get update && apt-get install -y sudo vim"

Replying to my own questionā€¦

I think that perhaps something has been updated on the docker image I can see via github, but not on the one linked to from docker hub.

I had been pulling down https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/docker/master/9.0/apache/Dockerfile and building my own docker image from that - which had worked perfectly up till this morning.

Now that the official docker image has the ā€˜apacheā€™ and ā€˜fpmā€™ variant tags available (it didnā€™t, when I built my migration script) I have just tried switching to using the official docker image i.e. simply ā€˜docker run nextcloud:9.0-apacheā€™ and this seems to be working.

I note that the official docker image uses this Dockerfile for 9.0-apache - which uses PHP 5.6 and not PHP 7.1ā€¦
https://github.com/nextcloud/docker/blob/e0c8ce80b26d4755a9a2bfeb3c42c40c89d8c4f8/9.0/apache/Dockerfile

So - Iā€™m not sure what changed this morning or why (since the files on github I was originally using donā€™t appear to have been modified in at least 16 days!) but certainly my migration is now running again. Iā€™m going to stick with PHP 5.6 via these docker images for the moment; I will try and reproduce the problem I had earlier, and flag it as an issue on github.

Will be tracked here, for anyone interested:

2 Likes