Dirty table reads -> excessive logging - reproducible

Intro

After the last update from 28.0.6 to 29.0.1, I realized that my logfile was quite large. It was larger than 50MB, which is an odd size for my instance.

I am the only user and rotate yearly; so far, the log was never larger than 2,5 MB.

(trying to) analyze the issue

Using awk I managed to identify 6 (only six!) lines that made up almost the entire 50 megabytes. 3 lines were more than 10 MB long (line length 108739898) and another 3 were around 5444091 long.

This prints the length of the longest lines in your log, and it also indicates the line number:
awk '{print length " - line: " NR}' nextcloud.log |sort -rn|head

Timeline and possible cause (Please chime in)

Extract of updater.log

2024-05-31 09:24:23 updater cli is executed
2024-05-31 09:27:31 update of code successful.
2024-05-31 09:27:31 updater run in non-interactive mode - occ upgrade is started
2024-05-31 09:28:01 updater run in non-interactive mode - disabling maintenance mode
2024-05-31 09:28:07 maintenance mode is disabled - return code: 0

So far, so good. We’ve now established the exact times of the upgrade and can correlate with the nextcloud.log.

The first very long line in the logfile is logged at 2024-05-31 09:27:47 - so it happens during the upgrade process. Obviously, it wouldn’t make sense to post even a single line here (larger than 10 MB, remember?). I’ll go with the first 220 characters of each line.

Extract of nextcloud.log (only the very long lines)

{"reqId":"OdkfrSYEW9oLOZbz1rcO","level":0,"time":"2024-05-31T09:27:47+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"no app in context","method":"","url":"--","message":"dirty table reads: SELECT `path` FROM `*PREFIX*filecache`
{"reqId":"OdkfrSYEW9oLOZbz1rcO","level":0,"time":"2024-05-31T09:27:47+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"no app in context","method":"","url":"--","message":"dirty table reads: SELECT `fileid` FROM `*PREFIX*filecache
{"reqId":"OdkfrSYEW9oLOZbz1rcO","level":0,"time":"2024-05-31T09:27:47+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"no app in context","method":"","url":"--","message":"dirty table reads: SELECT `path` FROM `*PREFIX*filecache`
{"reqId":"OdkfrSYEW9oLOZbz1rcO","level":0,"time":"2024-05-31T09:27:47+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"no app in context","method":"","url":"--","message":"dirty table reads: SELECT `filecache`.`fileid`, `storage`,
{"reqId":"OdkfrSYEW9oLOZbz1rcO","level":0,"time":"2024-05-31T09:27:47+00:00","remoteAddr":"","user":"--","app":"no app in context","method":"","url":"--","message":"dirty table reads: SELECT `filecache`.`fileid`, `storage`,
  • All six lines have the same reqId.
  • All six lines are about “dirty table reads”

Reproducible

I removed the overly long lines from my logfile. Afterwards, the logfile was down to 2,3 MB.
I just updated from 29.0.1 to 29.0.2 and my logfile is now a whopping 70MB. I checked and again there were these same very, very long lines.

Conclusion

None so far - this is a work in progress. I’ll update my findings, hoping that someone can shed some light on this. Perhaps others may find this useful.

Switch to → a lower loglevel ← ! Loglevel “0” is the most verbose level.

You can switch to 3, that is enough!

Much and good luck,
ernolf

Thank you, I keep my loglevel set to 3. Loglevel 0 is set by the updater only during the upgrade and that’s a good thing IMHO.

And it’s not the issue :slight_smile: - the overly long lines are.

But all the log entries you posted above, are exclusively loglevel 0 :thinking:

ernolf

Correct - that’s because it happens during the upgrade.
And, as explained above, the updater sets the loglevel to 0 during its run.

OK. Now even I understood it :face_with_peeking_eye:

Those dirty table reads appear only to occur on the filecache and the storage tables.

This is what I would do if I would get those messages:

Reindexing all files from scratch:

occ files:scan --all

… and if that does not solve the issue, I would once more give this a try:

occ maintenance:repair --include-expensive

… but I do not have much hope about that one, because all repair jobs are normaly executed after an update…

Much and good luck,
ernolf

:joy: no worries, thank you for your input!

I did both, files:scan and maintenance:repair --include-expensive (with the latter not showing anyting of interest). Will verify when the next update comes and update my post accordingly.

1 Like