Desktop Client 3.4.3 is out!

Hi everyone,

A number of bugfixes is being released through the desktop client 3.4.3 version today:

• desktop#4238 [stable-3.4] Remove Hirsute, add Jammy
  • desktop#4245 [stable-3.4] Cmake option to disable proxy
  • desktop#4258 [stable-3.4] ensure we emit a rename command for renamed files
  • desktop#4262 Makes sure that sync engine terminates when an error happen
  • desktop#4267 [stable-3.4] ensure that bulk upload network job errors are handled
  • desktop#4311 [stable-3.4] Rollback local move on server move failure
  • desktop#4312 [stable-3.4] Do not remove a folder that has files that were not uploaded yet during propagation

Get it and - as always - feedback welcome!

4 Likes

Working on W10, last patch level, in combination with NC Server V21.0.2. Updated from V3.4.2.

It seems someone forgot to build/include the Linux AppImage in the GitHub Release. There already is an issue about it here: nextcloud/desktop#4318.

1 Like

I get a 404 error when trying to download.

Which URL gives you an 404 error?

The download link of the Linux Appimage:
https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/releases/download/v3.4.3/Nextcloud-3.4.3-x86_64.AppImage

It is not listed anymore at https://github.com/nextcloud/desktop/releases/

Please be a little patient.

The app ion linux is sadly still broken, the menu does not open anymore when you click the icon. It has been broken for a long time now, why no love for Linux?

It’s not broken “on Linux”. It’s broken specifically on Ubuntu 20.04, because the most recent releases of the client depend on some QT libarys, which are apparently too old in 20.04. I have installed it on three machines here and it works perfectly fine:

1. Laptop with Ubuntu 21.10 and Gnome 40, (v3.4.2 from the PPA)
  2. Laptop with PopOS 21.10 and Gnome 40, (v3.4.2 from the PPA)
  3. Desktop computer with Arch Linux and Gnome 41, (v3.4.2 from the Arch repos)

Possible workarounds on older Ubuntu versions, would be to use the Snap Package, the AppImage or the Flatpak.

We run this for 100+ users on Ubuntu 20.04 using apt for the software deployments. It will be years before we migrate to 22.04, we only run LTS on user machines. Alternative options like snaps or appimage are not feasible for us for various reasons. It is basically a huge support headache and undermines the trust in NC for our users. As a expert and enthusiast I don’t mind messing about with workarounds but our end users not so much.

Ubuntu 20.04 is imo a important distro to support, I feel it is reasonable to expect a important application like this not to be EOL on this distro. I run Linux Mint myself on the latest versions and it is broken also btw.

1 Like

I was just bothered by the generalization and the insinuation that the Nextloud devs have no love for Linux… Linux is way more than Ubuntu LTS :wink:

Snap Packages are not a “workarround”. They are the official way Canonical wants to do things. And it’s among other reasons built for exactley this situation, namly maintaining the base system with minimal effort and without upgrading it several times a year, but still being able to use up-to-date apps with the latest features.

Then they would have to maintain diffrent distro specific versions, maybe even with diffrent feature sets. Some LTS distributions have up to 10 years support. If you were not allowed to use new dependencies for that long, at some point in time you would not be able to add new features, because certain new features require newer versions of the libraries… But as an enthusiast and expert you know that of course… :wink:

…also in the the linked GitHub issues one of the devs says that they intend to fix it, which means that the client is at least not officially EOL for Ubuntu 20.04. Whether they manage to fix it, is of course, another story. But It’s FOSS software, so anyone can help.

Get what your saying but when you run a Linux distro for a professional environment you run LTS. Basically the message is great you use FOSS but don’t use it for anything important.

My mistake was moving to the 3.x version instead of staying on the 2.x version supplied by the distro. That one had it’s own problems why we did make the move. The snap version cannot read in the whole home dir making it problematic, that is why we can’t use it right now, Snaps in general have given us a lot of trouble, so we avoid them.

Either way, I really hope they do fix the issue like you said.

I absolutely understand your arguments and the situation is not ideal. But that’s exactly why flatpaks and snaps are becoming more and more popular. Yes, they have their disadvantages, but they are getting better. And in the long term, I see no other way than to decouple the userland and the apps more from the underlying system. Android and iOS have been doing this for a long time and it solves various problems that are otherwise difficult to circumvent and the Nextcloud client is by no means the only software that struggels with it.

Are you a paying NC custumer? If so you can open a ticket at the customer support portal.

In my opinion, communicate better and more transparently from Nextcloud development teams and/or product management side would be strongly desirable. Alongside with references to bug fixes and new features, where applicable, also fundamental changes, such as minimum system requirements, should definitely be communicated in the release announcements. In this context, currently valid LTS versions of widely used operating systems and used middleware should be supported and tested.

I personally feel that updating Nextcloud components has become a high-risk action over time - the reason I’m still on Server version 21. It would have driven me to white heat if, for example, my extensive photo and music collection had been afflicted by the timestamp reset disaster… Horror!

Saying this, I’m ever and anon astonished how seemingly reckless and without major prior testing new versions are deployed out of the boondocks especially in productive environments, acting terribly frivolous even without apparently having a rollback plan and outright to the entire population…

1 Like

I suppose they do some testing, the question is what kind of system they use that these errors didn’t show up. Unfortunately there is not much information about this. It would be helpful to know what is tested and what isn’t, since you can expect them to test everything.

Yes that was really bad. For that reason, I wouldn’t upgrade in the first days after a new major release comes out. If you have a more conservative update strategy, there is less risk but you have to wait for new features for longer. However, you should always have backups. Revert the upgrade is no problem if you see issues right away.

2 Likes

Sure, everyone should have his own testing, rollout, rollback and backup strategy in place, it’s common sense, and there are enough best practice examples.

Nevertheless, I would like to see Nextcloud applying a better, more clean and clearly arranged communication strategy.

2 Likes

NC 21 is EOL since 15th of february 2022 (docs).

1 Like

Yes, thanks for the message, I am aware of it, although there is still activity under a potentially upcoming milestone 21.0.10…, but independently of that I decided to wait until mid-March to decide whether to switch to version 22.2.6 or, in a further step, directly to version 23.0.3, both update versions which are planed to become available at that time.

1 Like

Sorry, but I get a dissaster when I upgraded to 3.4.1… I losed the half of my files because 3.4.1 erased their data prop…
I get a bad experience also with 3.4.2, that stays sincronizing all the time…

Really, I’m afraid to try 3.4.3… Having experienced all that issues, I think I’m going to keep with 3.3.6, waiting for you to release 3.4.4 or 3.4.5…