Desktop App - can I view but not sync files?

Hi all,

Quick and simple question: Using my Nextcloud desktop app in Windows, is it possible to see all files but only donwload/sync them when needed?

Currently I am syncing just one folder, which then shows up in File Explorer, but all of my other folders I have on the server are hidden. I don’t want to sync all, because it will take up too much space on my computer, but I do want to be able to see what’s on my server and download at will. Very much like what Google drive does ( I believe…)

Thanks for your help,

Oli

Hi @Oliwally, maybe this method is appropriate but no file will be downloaded on your computer.

see : Accessing Nextcloud files using WebDAV — Nextcloud latest User Manual latest documentation

1 Like

Thanks for helping out @Mageunic

It looks promising but did not work for me, although this may be due to the firewall at my workplace. I will have to try it at home.

The WebDAV method is not using the desktop app.

The desktop app can selectively sync folders, but not individual files or on demand.

Thanks for helping out @KarlF12,

So, ignoring the WebDAV for a moment, I cannot use the desktop app to view contents of folders without also syncing them. If I want to see them, I have to sync/download the contents to my computer. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks again,

Oli

As far as the current desktop app, yes.

There was a new client with a virtual drive feature in development, but I don’t know what the state of it is.

Thanks @KarlF12. I will hold my breath and hope it comes along soon :yum:

Seems like it’s going on with virtual drive: Help test our desktop client! Don’t know, when the release of the stable version is…

Oh, looks interesting and exciting. Worth waiting for.
Thanks for the info @swindhab

mid March, I think.