Deadlock while upgrading Nextcloud on Docker

I’m currently in the following dead-end. I tried to upgrade from v19 to v21, which obviously was a mistake.
The upgrade fails with the following error:
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.

When recreating the container with a v20 image I get the following error and the container is not starting:
Can’t start Nextcloud because the version of the data (22.2.0.2) is higher than the docker image version (20.0.13.1) and downgrading is not supported. Are you sure you have pulled the newest image version?
The same error occurs when using the original v19 image.

How can I escape from this situation? Any trick? I didn’t found a solution in this forum. Unfortunately, I don’t have a DB backup.

Thanks for your help.

I hope you have a backup just before an upgrade (it’s always a good idea to perform backup before doing something potentially disruptive). In this case the most easiest way would be to restore you old system and upgrade to your desired option going through all major versions.

otherwise try searching this forum - lot of people reported this problem in the past:

good luck and please report if and how you restored your system.

Hey. Thank you for the reply and the links. That helped a lot. I fixed my issue finally, quite simple. Just had to change the version in config.php to 22.2.0.2 (same as in version.php) and now it works fine with the latest docker image.
Lessons learned: not to backup only the data folder but also the config and DB. Not to skip a major Nextcloud version.

1 Like