Data loss in Only Office

Hello,
Nextcloud Storage Share: 27.1.5
Only Office: 8.2.4
Community Doc Server: 0.1.13
Browser: Firefox 122.0 (64-bit)
OO installation type: no clue, app was regularly installed in NC

Hello,

I need help with a bug. Sorry to open another topic, sorry if this is the wrong forum, but everything I find here or online to this problem doesnt solve my situation or I am too much of a non-programmer to understand.

Problem description:
The issue is concerning OO and/or the collaborative work on docs in Nextcloud with OO.
After working on several docs in OO (tabs are always open), data was not saved. We lost a lot of work due to NC or OO not saving the changes / overwriting with the very first version of the doc. (and no, the backup from the host didnt help)

Expected behaviour: save all data without any problems
Actual beahviour: data loss

Sorry, if I am not able to provide more info, I don’t know how to reproduce it.

Apparently this problem is known for a long time, but I don’t find a safe solution for this (as discussed here or here
Or here ONLYOffice Data loss - #3 by ramesh.subbaraman
or there too Data Loss Nextcloud <-> OnlyOffice - #8 by dev0

• is closing the tab in which was edited a reliable workaround?
  • does saving manually per clicking on the floppy disk help anything?
  • i have enabled the force safe-function - is this enough?

How can we make sure, that edits are saved?

I am no webmaster and no “computer person”, so it would be great if you could explain, how I can make sure this bug can be fixed.

Generally I would like to add, that we were very happy with having found NC with the OO integration, so we gladly left google. But this major problem sabotages the whole functionality of collaborative work and questions the overall usability of OO / NC and we fear we have to go back to G. How can this be?

Your help and overall work is very much appreciated!

Hope you have a nice day

Hi,
I suppose you have checked the setting in OO to save documents automatically (File >> Advanced Settings >> Editing and Saving >> Autosave)

but can you confirm it, please?

I am also running a NC instance 27.1.6 and sometimes NC loses connection with the OnlyOffice server. That could be related to the data loss you experienced.

On another NC instance (NC 28.0.2) I do not experience any connection loss with the OO document server (version 7.5.1). A new version 8.0.0 of theis document server is already released.

I suggest updating to the latest OO version and perform tests.
I understand the inconvenience and updating systems can sometimes be benificial, but sometimes it is better to stick with current versions and perform aequate testing before updating. To prevent encountering incompatibility issues as much as possible.

Hey,
thanks.
yes, autosave was/is active, OO was/is the newest version.

This loss of connection between NC and OO is not related to internet connection issues I guess? Would this be a “shit happens” fluke which doesnt occur normally?

So for now I have changed no settings yet except the force-safe function.

For the most time things seem to be saved normally. (like it did before the issue) And I dont know if leaving the tab open was the “problem” (somewhere I read that only closing the tab sends the info). Does closing the tab or saving manually help anything (quick save for collaborative work is active)?

I can do testing (open a doc, work on it, leave it open). the problem is, even if this test doc would be fine, I still wouldnt trust an unchanged system which ate my data. I do everything offline for now.

thanks for your support.

What I dont understand: apparently the data loss appeared with NC overwriting the file with an old / the very first version (which was an empty doc). All versions in between (which would have at least contained some data) were lost. How can this be?