Dashboard is blank

[My own login is fine, but another user’s Dashboard has no widgets]

Generally Nextcloud works fine for me (Nextcloud Pi 20.02), but when I add another user, I find their Dashboard is blank other than the menu itself. There is no colour, no background, no ‘customise’ button etc.

I’m obviously not as good as I like to think (especially with NC). Any suggestions appreciated

1 Like

@jjag have you some error on the logs? ( on admin user go to : settings > administration> logging)
Have you tried to delete cookies ?

Thanks for your time. I’m at a loss.

The user is a family member so I can play. Login to NC using a completely vanila firefox profile. Brand new, no cookies.
I’ve get this:

Error: Array to string conversion at /var/www/nextcloud/apps/social/lib/Model/ActivityPub/ACore.php#569

Lots and lots of times. (I know Social is alpha, so I’ll disable it for now -but this must be a huge log file -can I get rid?). Not worried about Social (enough trouble with Talk).

Disabled Social and also Breeze and:

Exception: Argument 1 passed to OCA\Text\Service\DocumentService::getFileForSession() must be an instance of OCA\Text\Db\Session, bool given, called in /var/www/nextcloud/apps/text/lib/Service/ApiService.php on line 144

Turn off Theming and we get:

OCP\AppFramework\QueryException: Could not resolve OCA\SideMenu\Controller\JsController! Class OCA\Theming\ThemingDefaults does not exist

Turn off Custom menu and we don’t get errors.

However, on the user’s PC we see the obvious changes as breeze is dropped, Custom menu etc.

The now white background shows no text (it’s there of course, just white). But only with Dashboard. Choose Files (after a bit of rando click) or Talk etc. and the screen is how you would expect. It’s only Dashboard that’s playing up.

I’m at a loss here (and I hope you can tell me how to lose this great long log file :slight_smile: ).

@jjag try this command : sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ maintenance:repair
I don’t know if there is a special line for nextcloudpi…

1 Like

Ooh. I like that. Sort of quick fire service.
Didn’t help, but still a good tool.

1 Like

Just to make it interesting, I created a separate, vanilla profile. I also created a new user and logged in as that user. Same problem. Log out, then log in as myself (not admin) and it works absolutely fine.

@jjag this is really strange but I don’t have a solution for the moment…

Because Dashboard is presented to the user in the form of a web page, I wonder if I should look into how it’s styled.
I’ll think about it tomorrow.

@Mageunic I’ve had a play and I just can’t see why it’s behaving like this and only on the Dashboard for new users. I have re-enabled the custom menu and the breeze theme (At least with that the user can see the menu text and icons).

Anyway, thanks for your input :smile:

Does anyone else have an idea?

Hi @jjag, according to this discussion on github: NC20: New dashboard show nearly white screen after update from 19.0.3 to 20.0.0 · Issue #23163 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

Enable the accessibility app or disable it and enable it again.

1 Like

@Mageunic Will try that in a few minutes. Thx

Excellent!
It worked like a charm. I don’t know how you found that little gem, but thank you :smile:

2 Likes