Dashboard for Nextcloud by flost and Holger (was: Anyone in for an Overview / Dashboard / Start page app?)

Got it
So i am a step further :wink:
I think it might be just an issue with the XML

just finishing my MP3 App - now playing not only MP3.
Then i can have a look - and provide an MP3 dasboard tile right away :wink:

1 Like

Lucky me, as I of course screwed my post up
 :joy: the button changed to DEactivate ofc, as I tried to activate the app
 but it seems you have guessed that alright already

Far more important is what you just said! Keeping my fingers crossed you can come up with some sort of solution. Thanks anyway for trying and your time spent therefore. :+1::+1:

Much appreciated!

cozycloud has a very nice interface!

I downloaded the beta version and had an error in appinfo/app.php. I had to change OC_L10N::get(‘dashboard’)->t(‘Dashboard’) to ‘name’ => \OC::$server->getL10N(‘dashboard’)->t(‘Dashboard’) and of course the version information in info.xml.
Now the app is loaded without errors - but is empty.

That might be because no application ist providing to the dashboard
?!?

Holger

1 Like

I was playing around with the dashboard app yesterday and found another bug in the code. In my opinion it would be the best to check in the code in some repository.
Does anyone know, if it’s possible to put it in the nextcloud repository? Where are the nextcloud apps usually hosted?

@Holger_Dehnhardt:

Empty Dashboard: as you mention later, there must be something else wrong as well. The default dashboard shows several pre configured info boxes such as an analog clock.

A dedicated app store for Nextcloud is still in the works (see Nextcloud appstore). As for the (continuing) developing of a dashboard app, it might be moved to https://github.com/nextcloud IF the responsible staff decides to offer such a dashboard thingy app :wink:

@John
Empty Dashboard: Are you sure there are pre configured boxes in v2 Beta?

Appstore: As there is no working solution, it would be best to use a private GitHub account until the app store is ready?

only reasonably sure not thoroughly I’m afraid 
and no chance to verify it atm. :-/

@Holger_Dehnhardt new app store api is usable, we are currently working on the web interface. If anyone is interested in testing or helping out (Python, Django), feel free to ask questions on IRC or the issue tracker.

Docs are available on https://nextcloudappstore.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ btw

ncdev is not yet pushed to pypi but should probably work (I guess :P) if you install it from the repo. README is a bit outdated. Otherwise just use curl.

Production Web server config is still not ready, we are currently using apache instead of Nginx. If anyone is familiar with nginx feel free to help us out.

Thank you Bernhard, but the app store seems to me like “step two”. I first need to upload the code to an (git) repository.

Well technically you just need to upload the archive somewhere :slight_smile:

But yes, you need to write the code first ;D

True, but if I understand you correctly, you are indeed willing to to start working on the app to make it compatible with NC 9+. That’ll be brilliant news indeed.As the author of the dashboard app is looking for a maintainer, why not creating a new git repo for it, fork the app there and get in touch with flost. He even left his contact details for willing maintainers to get in touch: flost-dev(at]mailbox{dot}org
John

I created a git repo at: GitHub - dehnhardt/nc_dashboard: Dashboard for Nextcloud - based on Work from Florian Steffens.
I have found some more problems with L10N which are already fixed in the repository. When you check out the master branch (and copy the subdirectory dashboard to the apps folder) it should work.

3 Likes

Cool, thx heaps.

Much to my regret it doesn’t work for me

Downloaded zip from git, uploaded and extracted into apps. Modified info.xml.
For name ocDashboard I can activate the app with no result: reloading the page switches “deactivate” back to “activate” option

For name “dashboard” NC stops working throwing up an internal server error:

Interner Serverfehler
Der Server hat einen internen Fehler und konnte Ihre Anfrage nicht vervollstÀndigen.
Bitte wende Dich an den Serveradministrator, sollte dieser Fehler mehrfach auftreten, und fĂŒge Deiner Anfrage die unten stehenden technischen Details bei.
Weitere Details können im Serverprotokoll gefunden werden.

Technische Details
Entfernte Adresse: 79.xxx.xxx.xx
Anforderungskennung: dhghfjdejhfguikz6rgg

This looks like github is packimg the zip without corrections, as this is the behaviour I had before fixing. I’m completely new to git and github!
I Will try an fresh install tonight and report my findings here

2 Likes

Cool! thanks for bothering!!

@John
I have set up a complete new development nextcloud and installed the dashboard:
There is no problem with the git repository. All fixes are in the zip (I now added the max version tag to the info.xml as well.) - but there was something I had added manually to the database which I forgot to mention; There is some kínd of broken group filter. Broken, because there is a group selection in the admin panel, but the values are not stored - so I added them directly. Something to investigate later

I have bypassed the filter now, so no need for you to modify the database - but this problem only lead to an empty widget selection screen abd not to the symptom you described.
Could it be that you copied the whole directory to your apps folder? You should only copy the dashboard subdirectory!

So please download a new zip, copy the subdirectory ‘dashboard’ to the apps folder and try to enable it.
If it still does not work, please enable the debug log and try to send some relevant information:-)

All the best
Holger

To proof my words;-)

I’ll try that tommorrow. Thanks for taking the time to doublecheck. One more thing that came to mind: can it be an issue due to me using PHP 7?

Main thing is: it DOES work. So if all else fails, I can still do a fresh installation next week and start from scratch 
WITH a dashboard :smiley:

THanks for your work and dedication: keep going! :wink:

One more thing that came to mind: can it be an issue due to me using PHP 7?

Hard to say as I’m still using PHP5