Daily incremental backup with Object Storage

Nextcloud version: 19 (via snap)
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 20.04

Hi,

I have Nextcloud running on my server with an Object Storage set up as primary storage.

On a daily basis, I would like to back up to another server all files that were added or modified during the last 24h.

As my files are stored in an Object storage and not on the server where Nextcloud is running, I do not see any files in the local Nextcloud data directory (as expected).Therefore I cannot run local commands like find . -mtime -1.

Would you have an idea of how I could achieve such a backup (maybe using webdav)?
Any suggestion or similar experience welcome!

Thank you.

Best regards,
Charley

It might be better if you provided more detail about the object storage (type AWS S3 or S3 compatible etc) How is the object storage attached to your NC instance?

@NeptuneUK Thank you for your message.

It is an object storage from provider OVH.

I used the following link to update the original Nextcloud’s config.php with object storage information.

I hope it answers your question.

Another information that may help: in the object storage bucket itself, I don’t see the files with their real names, but a list of files named urn:oid:xxx, where xxx is a unique id.

Best,
Charley

that’s normal and in case of backup the problem.

for my understanding you choose s3 storage as primary storage because it’s cheap and durable. so you don’t need a backup for the files. s3 is save by design. that’s at least what marketing is telling about it.

but if you loose your database your data are lost. because the translation urn:oid:xxx ↔ real folder/file.name is stored in a table in the database.

if you want to copy all s3 objects anyhow you may have a look at rclone.org
if you still want incremental backup look at restic.net.
you could configure a backup of your nc s3 bucket into a second bucket with both tools. plus the database backup.

but i’m not sure that’s a good idea.

aws s3 allows you to copy all objects to another region. out-of-the-box. does ovh s3 storage allow the same?

1 Like