Crossposting in two languages

Hi @JimmyKater.

Quick question: what are the reasons why you closed the thread I published in French? As you may know, not everyone here understands English well or, worth, is able to answer in a foreign language they are not fluent with.
More over, as my question is related to the news in France, publishing in both English (more users) and French (more impact) maximizes my chances to get my problem addressed, would you mind reopening the thread in French and keep both the English and French versions opened, please?

Thanks for your understanding and support.

–
Maxime.

1 Like

that’s a valid question… But we here on the forum once decided that we don’t want to feature crosspostings to keep the forum as “sane” as possible and to help ppl to find things easier. plus: this is an english-speaking forum… way more ppl do read english-written threads and thus the sheer chance to get a helping answer is way higher than getting a helping answer in your native subforum (though it’s possible to get an answer there are well… for the malus of most of the users here)

I know about the guts that it takes to write in a foreign language… for these purposes there are online-translators… even for free.

and as much as I see the problem of the impact… i left a comment there where exactly to bundle the discussion. so you have your article still there (and it won’t vanish) and if someone wants to answer to it (in english, please - let yourself help by said online-translators) he or she could do it here. for the sake of everyone with a similar problem.

1 Like

You are almost right. Except I posted my question in French in the :globe_with_meridians: Non-english support:fr: Français (french) forum which, obviously is not an english-speaking-forum.
I do understand you, here on the forum, once decided that you don’t want to feature cross-postings to keep the forum as “sane” as possible. But that’s not what I did: I did not copy-pasted my question across different sub-forums. I published two distinct posts, one in French, the other one in English in their respective locations.

What are the Non-english support forums created for, then, if way more ppl do read english-written threads and thus the sheer chance to get a helping answer is way higher than getting a helping answer?
By only letting the english-written post opened, you deprive me of french-answered comments. I do not understand how the sheer chance to get a helping answer could be way higher with only the English thread instead of both the English thread plus the French thread.

May I ask you to reconsider your position and to reopen the closed thread, please?

2 Likes

we once agreed upon that since there really are users who are too afraid posting in other languages than their mothertongue. so that those would have a place to ask their questions.

in the beginning i thought that was a very nice step toward those users. now i think it’s ridiculous hard to keep the forum readable and a bonus for everyone. of course ppl think it’s easier to write in their native tongue… and thus they put their questions (and sometimes even solutions) there … without the broad rest of the forum users having no bonus from it (because they won’t ever know about a possible existing solution for their problem in another language). so in the meanwhile I wouldn’t again agree to open as much non-english forums again.

since the major goal of this user-forum is: giving everyone the opportunity to receive voluntary help and to participate in already existing solutions.

btw: you proved that you are very well capable of posting in english.
and again: if some fellow french user is gonna read your french thread he (or she) knows where to answer as I left a link there. for everyone to participate in possible solutions.

1 Like

I understand your position and agree the major goal of this user-forum is to give everyone the opportunity to receive voluntary help and to participate in already existing solutions. To comply with this, I can engage myself to translate solutions provided in one forum to the other. This would help more people, English or French speaking.

Of course I do, but I’m not talking about my abilities to write and read English, I’m talking about the fact some users, here in these forums, may not be able to express themselves in English, despite they may face the exact same situation, due to the recent news in France. By closing the thread in French, you made the choice to deprive me of helpful answers from french-only speaking users. And I consider that’s not fair.

1 Like

You replied and kept things separate, so I split this in a different thread if you don’t mind.

3 Likes