Creating files for nc using terminal

Hello Nextcloud Community

First of all, I don’t think I need to fill out these Questions, because I’m not encountering a problem, more like a question about the whole nextcloud mechanics.

Well first, I got nextcloud 14.0.0 up and running using apache2 and a raspberry pi.
It works fine, although the raspi is very slow, but that’s not the problem.

My question is, if it’s possible to create a folder or a file for nextcloud using the terminal?

I navigated into the path /var/www/html/nextcloud/data/[username]/files and created a file using nano textfile.txt or even a folder with mkdir folder I set the owner of both files to www-data:www-data using chown [Filename] www-data:www-data.

I refreshed the browser but nothing happened, I restarted apache2 aswell, but it didn’t work either.

Is this even possible or am I trying to do something impossible?

Yours sincerly
LinuxSquare

Normally you are not supposed to touch the data-folder by hand. The folder is indexed once and then Nextcloud supposes that you always use the Nextcloud interface (web interface, webdav-access, or the clients) to connect so it can update the file index on the fly.

If you want to create files manually, you can use the external storage feature, where Nextcloud allows changes by others. This can be a local folder as well.

1 Like

Thank you very much!
This feature is working flawlessly. :grin:

Have nice day!

Yours Sincerly
LinuxSquare