Conflicting versions of <files>

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 18.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.29
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.33

The issue you are facing:
Error message stating Conflicting versions of <filename> on some files that have been updated on another computer.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N
It happens daily

Steps to replicate it:

1. Two separate Windows client machines, NextCloud client 3.4.1.
  2. One computer is used and after files are updated the computer is shut down. (Daily)
  3. Second computer is used, and some files are edited and saved. Files are never left open when switching between computers.
  4. Booting up and logging in to first computer will receive the error message: Conflicting versions of <filename>
  5. The conflict dialog shows that the Server file is both newer and a different size.

Why is a newer file listed as conflict? Isn’t that an indication of an updated file that needs to overwrite the older local file? Why must I do this manually each morning?

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'instancidsucks',
  'passwordsalt' => 'salty',
  'secret' => 'secret',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'yep.no',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloud/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '25.0.5.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://yep.no/nextcloud',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'oc_user',
  'dbpassword' => 'dbpassword',
  'default_phone_region' => 'US',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_from_address' => 'mail',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_domain' => 'google.com',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'google.com',
  'mail_smtpport' => '443',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'me@yep.no',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'passwordsucks',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'tls',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
);

I’m leaving out a lot of the stuff that appears to be related to Server as this appears to be a client side issue. Please let me know if that is still required.

As stated above, it seems NextCloud is mislabeling updated files as conflicting.

If there is a bug, it won’t be fixed for that version (it from 2 years ago). Perhaps it was already fixed?

Conflicting files should only happen, when you try to write a file and between the last version you read (and on which your modification is based on) has been changed in the meantime.

Does this happen with simple text files as well? You modify them on one computer, wait for the sync on both machines, and then edit on the second one?

Thanks for replying.

The files are simple XML files, so I if they aren’t treated by NextCloud as text files I’m not sure what that would mean. I’m so used to *nix “a file is a file is a file.”

OTOH, the problem hasn’t occurred for a couple of days now. So perhaps a patch has fixed the issue.

Yep. I would first update to the latest version, if you haven’t done so already, and then see if the problem persists.

Ya, I have the clients all set to auto update as soon as patches are available.