Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 10.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.18
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 7.0.15
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Yes

Can you reliably replicate it? (If so, please outline steps):

Yes

The issue you are facing:

We have created a folder for IT Department it been synced to each members laptop using Nexcloud client. When two people opened the same file at the same time and USER1 is saving that document, it will create a Duplicate file on the USER1 system. At the end the original file will not be changed neither the Duplicate file will be uploaded to the DMS server, so the other person doesn’t know about the changes.

Are both users editing the file via the online editor (like Collabora or OnlyOffice) or are they each using a local editor on their own machine? If the later than yes it will cause this problem since NextCloud doesn’t know both users are editing the file until their both save it, at which point the client will pick up the change and try to sync it with the NextCloud server.

If you want to have multiple users to be able to edit a single file then the best practice is to use an online editor so there is only one copy open and being changed.

1 Like

Same issue here.

One user will be selected as the “conflicted” version and as a result, a filename will have "conflict’ added to it.

Why doesn’t that file get uploaded to the server? That’s the next best result.

Side note: Dropbox client is quite elegant and will let a user know if the file is being modified in real time with a desktop notification.

1 Like

It still saves conflict files though.

With push notification support in NC12 this could be improved by monitoring the sync dir for clients and popping up a notification like with dropbox I guess, but it isn’t something to be easily fixed and is why online editors are becoming far more popular.

Hi Jason;
Yes, it saves the file.
Curious thing, however, is that conflicted file is not uploaded to the file share / server.
I’ve looked through the snyc exclusions file and I can’t see anything in there that would cause it to be excluded.
Is this a bug (not uploading to share so different users can see the conflicted file)?

I would think so. Perhaps file an issue on GitHub under the Client

Do you have a link to the github for the windows client? Am able to find server, mobile apps, android, etc… but not the windows client app.
Thanks!

On a side note:

Here’s an example of the filename that’s generated in the instance of a conflict:
Test_conflict-20170623-100411

Below is the list of exclusions in the sync-exclude.lst file

can’t find anything that would exclude this?

********LIST OF EXCLUSIONS

~
~$

.~lock.*
~.tmp
]
.~*
]Icon\r*
].DS_Store
].ds_store
._*
]Thumbs.db
desktop.ini
System Volume Information

..sw?
.*sw?

].TemporaryItems
].Trashes
].DocumentRevisions-V100
].Trash-*
.fseventd
.apdisk

.htaccess
.directory

*.part
*.filepart
*.crdownload

*.kate-swp
.gnucash.tmp-

.synkron.*
.sync.ffs_db
.symform
.symform-store
.fuse_hidden*
.unison
.nfs

My Saved Places.

:thumbsup:

1 Like

Here’s the github thread around this issue:

FYI - if you have similar issues to report in Github, the group is owncloud / client (https://github.com/owncloud/client)

nextcloud/client_theming is for visual customization of the owncloud client which has been repurposed for NextCloud