Client should not delete files from nextcloud server

Hello, this message was created by translation. I apologize if there were mistakes.

I installed CasaOS on Debian 11. Then I installed NextCloud. I performed file backups from the locak IP address on the client computer. But when a file is deleted from the PC, it deletes the same file on the server. I don’t want this to happen. I want it to constantly back up new files, but when the file on the computer is deleted, I don’t want it to delete that file from the server. I couldn’t find a way to set this up. I would appreciate it if you can help.

Translated with DeepL.com

Nextcloud is NOT a backup system!

Cloud software is for synchronisation with other devices and sharing only.
If you want to backup files of clients, please use a local backup software f.ex. VEEAM Agent or similar.

1 Like

As @Mornsgrans already stated the Nextcloud desktop client is a 2-way sync client, and it is not intended to be used for backups.

However, you can of course use Nextcloud as a storage backend for backups or one-way synchronisation, and if you only want to back up or synchronise specific folders on your PC and not the whole system, you don’t need an agent-based backup solution like Veeam. Any software that supports WebDAV as a storage target, such as Duplicati (for actual backups) or Rclone (for one-way file synchronisation) will do just fine.

Just make sure that you exclude the backup folder from synchronisation if you want to continue using the Nextcloud desktop client for other things, or even better, use a separate user account on Nextcloud for the backups.

1 Like

You can create a group folder and remove permission to delete. But I have never tested this.

The permission options are displayed on the screenshots here:

Not sure if that’s a good idea, I mean what happens if he changes an existing file? If I had to guess, I would say it would lead to a sync error. But I haven’t tested it either. :wink:

File history :wink:

But yes, I never tested it and it is probably not a good idea.

Ok, I tested it and I was wrong in my assumption because you can actually make changes to files and they will sync without any problems.

However, and here’s why it’s probably still not that great of a solution: :wink:

• Deleting files on the computer doesn’t work because the files are immediately synced back from the server and reappear.

• Renaming files doesn’t work