Client regularly forgets the password (mnemonic) and must be re-synchronized after re-entering the password

Nextcloud Hub version: 27.1.3
Operating system and version: Strato Webspace

Nextcloud Client: 3.10.1 (macOS Sonoma 14.1.1)

The issue you are facing:
I have two clients:
Client 1: MacMini Client: 3.10.1 (macOS Sonoma 14.1.1)
works perfectly. End-To-End encryption runs without any problem.

Client 2: MacBook Pro same Nextcloud client Client: 3.10.1 (macOS Sonoma 14.1.1) regularly forgets the password (mnemonic) and must be re-synchronized after re-entering the password.

Whenever Client looses the Password i get the following message:
[engl translation ]End-to-end encryption has been activated on this account with another device.
It can be activated on this device by entering your mnemonic.
This activates the synchronization of existing encrypted folders.

[Original Text] Die Ende-zu-Ende-Verschlüsselung wurde auf diesem Konto mit einem anderen Gerät aktiviert.
Sie kann auf diesem Gerät durch Eingabe Ihrer Mnemonik aktiviert werden.
Dadurch wird die Synchronisierung vorhandener verschlĂĽsselter Ordner aktiviert.

I do have no idea whether this behavior relates to this warning in my logging:

[core] Warnung: OC\Authentication\Exceptions\InvalidTokenException: Token is too short for a generated token, should be the password during basic auth at <<closure>>

0. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/Authentication/Token/Manager.php line 133
    OC\Authentication\Token\PublicKeyTokenProvider->getToken("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 1. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/User/Session.php line 782
    OC\Authentication\Token\Manager->getToken("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 2. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/User/Session.php line 352
    OC\User\Session->validateToken("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 3. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/User/Session.php line 452
    OC\User\Session->login("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 4. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Middleware/Security/CORSMiddleware.php line 107
    OC\User\Session->logClientIn("*** sensitive parameters replaced ***")
 5. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Middleware/MiddlewareDispatcher.php line 96
    OC\AppFramework\Middleware\Security\CORSMiddleware->beforeController()
 6. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 129
    OC\AppFramework\Middleware\MiddlewareDispatcher->beforeController()
 7. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 183
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch()
 8. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 315
    OC\AppFramework\App::main()
 9. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/lib/base.php line 1068
    OC\Route\Router->match()
10. /mnt/web117/e2/04/5695504/htdocs/pathlessland/nextcloud/index.php line 36
    OC::handleRequest()

GET /nextcloud/index.php/apps/notes/api/v0.2/notes?exclude=content
from 5.180.61.40 at 2023-11-09T10:50:10+00:00

1 Like

If you turn on client debug logging you should be able to get an indication of what’s going on (hopefully) since there is logging for most of the major keychain/etc events.

• How frequently does it seem to forget the mnemonic? Any pattern or trigger that you can discern?
  • Are encrypted files accessible from both clients without difficulty in between these events?
  • Do you have a third client (or even a mobile client) to test whether it has similar behavior?
1 Like

Dear jtr,
How frequently? - I have not yet seen a pattern. It is too often
Are files accessible? - From the MacMini there is no problem. I have also the Android Client, there is no problem, only the MacBook version “forgets” the password and needs re-syncing
I did click on “Debug-Archiv erstellen” and got an archive with a lot of gzip’ed logs. Where shall i need to look into? I will do this “Debug-Archiv erstellen” when it has lost the password next time.
Thank you very much for looking into this

1 Like