Click update notification to open apps page?

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): ‘23.0.4’

Using the official NC docker image.

The issue you are facing:

Updating apps is slightly more ‘complicated’ than necessary.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Get a (fairly frequent) notification of an update (either apps or NC itself)
  2. Click the notification for it
  3. Nothing happens …

I’d swear this used to work but I could be wrong, and it doesn’t for sure now.

Pretty much any app notification, on any app on the planet, in any OS :wink: will take you to the update itself if you tap on a notification telling you that an update is available for it.

i.e. the notification shows that have an update available for , you click it, it loads the Apps page, which has the “update all” (etc.) buttons on it.

You click the notification that there’s an update to NC itself, it takes you to the “overview” page where you can update NC there. (Or at least I think i remember it being on that page; I’ve been using a different update method since the built-in web updater always pooped out on me and caused big issues).

Currently, if you click any notification on this: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

ZILCH happens. You still have to move the mouse to your profile icon, click the “apps” item, then get sent to the update page. Not an efficient (or very expected) flow. :slight_smile:

As a side note: it would also be extremely nice to have a checkbox/option to auto update apps, for those of us who don’t like to micromanage every software we run every time there’s an update available. I have tried workarounds, like using cron with some arcane command, but it never seems to work, and many of us just don’t have the time to keep hacking away at workarounds using trial and error until it eventually works. A simple option to “auto update apps” would be pretty schweet.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

not relevant to this?

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

not relevant to this?

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

not relevant to this?

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

not relevant to this?

If it has been working, you can directly submit a bug report. On a quick search I didn’t find anything in the main server repo:
https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues

Perhaps with the occ app:update --all and a cron job?