Choosing a hosting services - tips for a beginner

hello, Iā€™m working towards making an overhaul switch from Google One to Nextcloud. I have very little knowledge in this process and would appreciate any tips from those of you who mightā€™ve done it before.

Iā€™m certain I would like my server to be hosted elsewhere, by a trusted hosting service rather than at home. my use case would be storing my email address and docs (similar to Gmail and G.Drive) but Iā€™d also appreciate being able to store images and big files as backups. so a large storage plan is a compelling idea.

Iā€™ve got a little lost amongst all the options, there are shared CPU hosting services from companies like Linode and Digitalocean and then there are dedicated Nextcloud plans offered by hosting providers such as Ionos and Hetzner.

the price differences between Linode and Ionos, for instance, is VAST and Iā€™m trying to figure out whatā€™s the catch.

Ionos offers a 1TB plan for Ā£9 pm whereas anything equivalent to that on Linode is far out of my reach (ex: a 640GB storage plan costs 64USD pm).

the little that I do understand is that Linode provides a whole virtual system, upon which the user individually deploys their Nextcloud configuration. itā€™s a whole system with CPU as well as SSD storage. Ionos doesnā€™t supposedly provides the user with a virtual machine but an already deployed Nextcloud client which can be used on their servers as I use Google Drive now. whyā€™s it better or worse than what Linode offers?

thanks for the helpers :pray:

You are in your rights to be confused and overwhelmed. It really IS a vast amount of opportunities, wherr most fits maybe only partially what you search for and others are to ā€œbigā€ (aimed at small or medium organizations).

Ionos is a good place to start. I have only read good things about them.

Nothing beats self hosted ofc In terms of features and fullfilling requirements, but this is a rather complex road for most. It seems you are looking for Nextxloud as a Service, hence Ionos is probably your best Bet right now.

2 Likes

thanks for your reassurance :slight_smile:

I understand where youā€™re coming from. as I read more about it in the meantime, I gathered that thereā€™s multiple ways to look at Nextcloud. a business that must keep future scalability in mind and perhaps require an ability to modify the software to their needs, may be concerned with things such as self hosting.

Iā€™ve been using Google Drive for over a decade now. the only factor I may have needed to change over time, is expansion of the storage space plan. as you said, I simply need an alternative to the service that Google offers.

apparently Nextcloud has an official list of trusted providers. itā€™s a massive list by all means. Iā€™d have to do a little research caparison as to which one is most suitable.

thanks again for your response. Iā€™d still be interested in hearing peopleā€™s experience, if someoneā€™s already got their online office running on such service using nextcloud :slight_smile:

Truth be told, then self hosting Nextcloud is - today - not that difficult. Using the SNAP in any Snap capable Linux or docker all in one. The NCP option is excellent aswell, and combines the best of breed by delivering a LXC, where adding and choosing results in various docker containers being deployed inside the LXC. Even a VM with all one if you have some old hardware or extra capacity somewhere. But Ionos if you are looking for the paid option and one of the All in One options.

2 Likes

I get you. most of the guides out there seem to be about self-hosting, as youā€™re saying itā€™s pretty straightforward, especially with Docker. maybe itā€™s just me but Iā€™d trust a company that maintains servers for a living better than myself. I imagine thereā€™d be fewer technical hitches and the dataā€™s less likely to go pop. plus, I wouldnā€™t have to keep my system running at all times to be able to access my cloud :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anybody has cheaper managed nextcloud hosting per gigabyte than Hetzner Storage Share . I would try them first and only consider more costly options, if you need higher server speed or are missing some feature.

The difference between Linode and Ionos is managed hosting vs unmanaged hosting. AFAIK Linode only provides an initial template, that installs nextcloud on the created cloud server, but you are responsible for updates, maintenance and security.

Services like Ionos Nextcloud and Hetzner Storage Share are different, you do not get full system access, you can only configure what they allow you to, and they manage maintenance, security and updates for you.

Unmanaged Linode is general purpose and likely has much faster SSD based storage (likely much faster than you really need), so in this case (if you use block storage, in reality you would configure far cheaper object storage, but that is not easy to do for a beginner) it costs much more even though it is unmanaged, which provides you a lot less convenience than managed services, that are cheaper in this case.

You likely want the second option.

1 Like

thanks for the clarification.

Iā€™ve already shot a message to Hetzner support team with a few questions. their offer is very compelling.

I was wondering if the shared storage plan of Hetzner (or if thereā€™s any other provider you can recommend), allows the user to run some additional things besides Nextcloud. itā€™s not a dealbreaker for me but thereā€™s other self hosted software that I use, such as Anytype or Ninja (invoice generator), which similarly to Nextcloud, also require a server to run on. and itā€™d be most effective for me to store them all on the same hosting plan, especially if I get such massive storage space of 1TB.

@yotamguttman
It is certainly not difficult to set up a Nextcloud. The real question, however, is whether you have enough knowledge to repair the Nextcloud or at least perform a backup/recovery in the event of problems. If not, then you should opt for a Managed Nextcloud, similar to Google. In other words, someone who sets up the Nextcloud for you, updates it and also carries out backups. And if you are concerned about your data security. Whether you rent the whole server or just the service. In the end, you will need a provider in both cases.

IONOS: Managed Nextcloud Hosting | IONOS
Hetzner: Storage Share

A Managed Nextcloud is a little more limited and of course a little more expensive. But it can really be worth it. For test you can create free Nextcloud accounts around the world.

1 Like

appreciate the clarification. thanks!
Iā€™ll probably go with Hetzner. just trying to figure out first how limited such a storage plan actually is. or if thereā€™s a solution to running nextcloud alongside other self hosted apps on the storage space Iā€™m paying for. because there are additional open source tools Iā€™d like to use which also require self hosting.