Changing from icloud to nextcloud

I have been using iCloud storage before I started my path by using the raspberry pi 4 to hold my data on nextcloud. But, I have yet to find an efficient way of transferring my photos (180GB or 28,000 photos) to my nextcloud server. I first thought of using the auto-upload feature to upload my whole iCloud library but that went downhill as I left it overnight and it only downloaded 500 MB!!! I then thought of downloading my whole iCloud library onto my computer and then onto the nextcloud server. Is there a more efficient way, or shall I just do as I said?
Thanks

180 GB its huge. You cant use an USB key ?

I’m not sure what you mean by this??? I have started to download the whole library of my icloud so that i can send them to nextcloud in fragments.

Oh sorry, I read too fast. I don’t know very well iCloud.
So, I dont know more efficient way of transferring your photos from your iCloud to your NextCloud server.

But I know that if you upload on NextCloud 180 GB data from your computer, it will be very long. That’s why I advised you to use an USB key or external hard drive to transfer your data from your computer to your hard drive that contains data of your Nextcloud.

If I put the photos onto external storage from my computer and add it to my nextcloudpi won’t it be formatted and all of the data will be lost? I’ve got a toshiba 1tb drive.

No. Make a copy if you are not confident. When data will be on your drive, you will need to scan your drive with occ command :
sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan
otherwise you will not see your file on nextcloud web interface

NB : use FAT32 file system for your temporary external storage

I’m such a noob, can you explain to me what will happen and what i will need to do when attaching the storage to show up on nextcloud? Or maybe send me a link of a tutorial on how to do it with nextcloudpi.Thanks

No problem, you can read this over occ command :
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html

But the steps are :
1_copy your files in your disk which contains your nextcloud data
(copy in /var/www/nextcloud/data/$user where $user is your username on Nextcloud)
2_ next, do :s
cd /var/www/nextcloud
sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan
(scan is very long)

Just, your server is under linux OS ?

My server is under the image for nextcloudpi. You can find the image here. ownyourbits.com/nextcloudpi

If you use a Pi with 180 GB (!!!) you must use an external HDD or SDD.

Read:

https://pant.github.io/nextcloudpi-test-docs/en_How-to-configure-an-external-USB-drive-with-NextCloudPi.html

nc-format-USB: will format your external USB drive to BTRFS, with the given Label.

Now you have an empty device. Now you can download all your icloud-stuff to a client (e.g. mac, windows, linux) and copy it to this BTRFS-device pluggend on the client. If Windows or Mac can not work with BTRFS use temporary a linux-client for download and copy to the external device.

After replugg to Pi look at the correct rights for files and dirs.
After all use the rescan-option from occ on the Pi.

I did it all again, trying to configure the USB drive now it show me this message wehn i change the data-dir

[ nc-datadir ]
PHP Warning: fileperms(): stat failed for /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/nextcloud.log in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/File.php on line 83
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“fileperms(): stat failed for /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/nextcloud.log at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/File.php#83”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:2,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“no app in context”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Temporary directory /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/tmp is not present or writable”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
PHP Warning: fileperms(): stat failed for /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/nextcloud.log in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/File.php on line 83
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“file_get_contents(/media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/news/config/config.ini): failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#218”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“fileperms(): stat failed for /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata/nextcloud.log at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/File.php#83”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:2,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“news”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“Configuration invalid. Ignoring values.”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“mkdir(): Permission denied at /var/www/nextcloud/apps/news/lib/AppInfo/Application.php#142”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
{“reqId”:“lWM9LbQHUIfz28Ldei0L”,“level”:3,“time”:“2020-04-01T13:57:38+00:00”,“remoteAddr”:"",“user”:"–",“app”:“PHP”,“method”:"",“url”:"–",“message”:“chmod(): No such file or directory at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Log/File.php#84”,“userAgent”:"–",“version”:“18.0.3.0”}
Error reading data directory. Is NextCloud running and configured?

Do you have a formatted device? What is the path? What about the rights.

Please post not only output. Post input. Thanks.

I think what i’m going to do is wipe the pi and then do the proccess all again. I will download the image, configure the drive and stuff. get it all up and running. then i will unmount the drive, put icloud datat onto it using windows and then put it back onto the pi. I’m really confused so i think starting over will help.

Is there no option to add an external hdd/sdd with formattting it?

I am going to start all over again tomorrow. i’ll keep you updated

Nice, I dont know very well raspberry, thanks :wink: