Can't enable SSH (NextCloudPi)

Hey everyone! I’ve set up a new instance of NextCloudPi on my Odroid HC2. So far it’s taken me a few tries for the activation to work but everything’s up and running smoothly now. Unfortunately I’m having some issues with enabling SSH.

When I try to do so I get the following output:

[ SSH ] (Fri Mar 18 20:05:02 UTC 2022)
New password: Retype new password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Wrong salt length: 5 bytes when 8 <= n <= 16 expected.
Synchronizing state of ssh.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable ssh
The user root is using the default password. Refusing to activate SSH
SSH disabled

A small note is that the hint text here mentions a user “pi” which does not exist. Only on the user “root” can I even try to set a password. I’m running Nextcloud version 23.0.2.1 from the NextCloudPi_03-02-22 image.

Anyone got any thoughts?

2 Likes

I experience the same issue with ncp on native raspbian. I cannot enable SSH no matter what I do. Im starting to get frustrated because I am already working about 8 hours to get ncp running again.

At first, I tried to install it on an up-to-date raspbian bullseye but that does not work.

Now I downloaded the RPI image and cannot enable ssh. I don’t even know which users exist…

I have no knowledge og RPI but to see what users exists you can do

cat /etc/group

which will list all system and user groups every user ( ex. USERNAME ) has a groups that is also called USERNAME.

Pi image from Raspbian will not enable SSH by default.

$ touch ssh

In /boot directory of your SD card to enable.

Or

$ sudo raspi-config

And enable SSH from the menu under networking after you’ve logged into your operating system.

same issue here.
no ssh activation routine on NCP flashed with belena etcher with the actual 03-02-22 image,
ssh routine on the ncp-web interface fails with a salt length error, SSH is disabled.
if one replace the default user PI with ncp or root, the passwd sais same as topic starter: password updated sucessfully (that is true as NCP WEB Interface does only accept login with the new password) but SSH is still disabled.
absolutly crap as I’m trying both ways (image with belena, and raspberry pi imager os lite 64bit and image package installation of ncp to get up and running again, both ways fail at different states… not nice.

the last 2 answers are clearly irrelevant as a user that flashs an SD card with NCP img, has no working console/bash to navigate inside debian, therefore we ask for SSH activation and its problems that exist.

I’ve redone it AGAIN from scratch.
img with belena etcher
ncp wizzard just moved the data directory
ssh from NCP Web interface

USER IS: pi
password: ex8aml7/e

[ SSH ] (Sat May 7 15:43:01 BST 2022)
New password: Retype new password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Wrong salt length: 3 bytes when 8 <= n <= 16 expected.
Synchronizing state of ssh.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable ssh
The user pi is using the default password. Refusing to activate SSH
SSH disabled
the last 2 answers are clearly irrelevant as a user that flashs an SD card with NCP img, has no working console/bash to navigate inside debian, therefore we ask for SSH activation and its problems that exist.

once the image is extracted to the sd can you not mount the sd in linux and edit/add any file anyway you like.

ssh is disabled by default for security reasons.
that is to taunt noobs :stuck_out_tongue:

did you not understand what you were doing when downloaded the .img.

you can even mount or chroot the image edit it’s contents before you write it to your sd card.

i’m just saying don’ t point fingers there all made this software with the best intentions in mind.

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/enable-ssh-raspberry-pi

We all started somewhere and learned a lot on the way.
How to enable ssh on rapspian OS and Debian based OSs is well documented I think.
My 2cents are: IIRC there was an issue with ssh and default password a week ago but it was updated. So keep your ncp up to date.

1 Like

next time please search the forum before posting as there are seemingly threads with same/similar problem.

1 Like

my intention was not to upset anyone

vincent:
the problem we discussed is the problem with activating SSH through NCP web-interface and not with a not accessable raspi-config from a flashed NCP .img, right? with not accessable I mean a freshly flashed NCP img put into a PI in headless mode (e.g. my assumntion, maybe to much of assumtions here as this is my setup).
In addition, yes SSH activation with SSH file in root is known at my desk as well as (I guess) at the topic starters posting, but still we had observed a problem from the NCP web-interface and we just pinpointed to it.

reapersbattlecry, I have done the whole process yesterday from scratch and I downloaded the most actual NCP img from the ncp website yesterday at 10 CET i guess, and still the ssh default password change routine described in my last post was present. dunno where a bug was fixed, maybe it was not added to the ncp .img?