Cannot see external storage in desktop app [SOLVED]

I’ve mounted external smb (Linux) storage in Nextcloud. I can read/write the shares in the web ui, however, not in the desktop client on Mac. Every example I’ve seen searching for instances of this happening shows problems with the state of the files, but not anything about not showing at all. Is there a setting I’m missing somewhere to make these show up or is the desktop client simply not capable of this?

Nextcloud version : 14.0.6
Operating system and version : CentOS 7.5.1804
Apache or nginx version : apache 2.4.6
PHP version : 7.0

To answer my own question and just for anyone else who runs into the same problem, this is a configuration issue. I tried setting up an external storage on the local filesystem to test things out and it worked. So I figured it might be a credential issue and indeed it was. The password has to be stored in the database before the smb external storage will work correctly. I suppose its entirely possible this could have been in the docs somewhere, but my searches didn’t turn up anything. So it’s here in case anyone else finds themselves in the same predicament. BTW, I’m using LDAP for auth so that’s why I really didn’t want to keep the passwords local.