Cannot open Office files via the android app after Nextcloud 27.1 upgrade

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.1.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.52
PHP version (eg, 7.4): '8.1.2-1ubuntu2.14`

The issue you are facing: I have updated two of my Nextcloud servers from 27.0 to 27.1 and in both cases I can no longer open an Office file using the official Android app. I get an error saying ‘No app set up to handle this file type’.
I can still do so through a browser or from the official iOS Nextcloud app. Identical servers still running 27.0 continue to work with the Android app. All servers are using the same external Collabora instance as the Office back end.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Use the Android Nextcloud client to open an Office file residing on a NC 27.0 server, such as an odt or ods file.View and edit it as desired.
  2. Update the server to 27.1
  3. Attempt to repeat step 1 and observe the error message in place of a successful operation.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Nothing is logged either when attempting to open a file from the Android app, or when successfully opening the same file from the iOS app.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'passwordsalt' => 'hidden',
  'secret' => 'hidden',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => 'hidden',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/usr/local/ncdata',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '27.1.1.0',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'hidden',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloudDB',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'hidden',
  'dbpassword' => 'hidden',
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'hidden',
  'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'force_language' => 'en',
  'force_locale' => 'en_US',
  'default_phone_region' => 'US',
  'auth.bruteforce.protection.enabled' => true,
  'filelocking.enabled' => true,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' => 
  array (
    'host' => '127.0.0.1',
    'port' => 6379,
    'timeout' => 0,
  ),
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_domain' => 'hidden',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'tls',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtpport' => '587',
  'mail_smtphost' => 'hidden',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'hidden',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'hidden',
  'mail_from_address' => 'device',
  'remember_login_cookie_lifetime' => 259200,
  'session_lifetime' => 43200,
  'auto_logout' => true,
  'token_auth_enforced' => true,
  'skeletondirectory' => '',
  'trusted_proxies' => 
  array (
    0 => 'hidden',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' => 
  array (
  ),
  'preview_max_memory' => 4096,
  'preview_max_filesize_image' => 256,
  'maintenance' => false,
  'preview_max_x' => 100,
  'preview_max_y' => 100,
  'preview_max_scale_factor' => 1,
  'allow_local_remote_servers' => true,
  'loglevel' => 1,
  'theme' => '',
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
  'session_keepalive' => false,
  'memories.exiftool' => '/var/www/nextcloud/apps/memories/exiftool-bin/exiftool-amd64-glibc',
  'memories.vod.path' => '/var/www/nextcloud/apps/memories/exiftool-bin/go-vod-amd64',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

[Tue Sep 26 00:00:01.392448 2023] [mpm_prefork:notice] [pid 352] AH00163: Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu) OpenSSL/3.0.2 configured -- resuming normal operations
[Tue Sep 26 00:00:01.392497 2023] [core:notice] [pid 352] AH00094: Command line: '/usr/sbin/apache2'

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

PASTE HERE

Looks like the same bug:

I have found an apparent workaround thanks to the link Mornsgrans provided.

Following the breadcrumb trail brought me to this link: https://github.com/nextcloud/richdocuments/pull/3184

I can confirm that running the suggested occ command allows me to access my Office files on Android again.

Path to ‘occ’ will vary depending on system configuration. In my particular setup this was the complete required command: sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ config:app:set richdocuments mobile_editing --value=“no”

However, I did notice that I cannot see when someone else has the file open. I do not know that this is related, because it has been months since I had multiple logins to a single file, but I remember when I first set Collabora up and for at least a few months afterwards when I would collaboratively edit spreadsheets with others I could see that they were also in the file, and what Cell they were currently on, and vice-versa.

At the moment this is no longer the case. Since I do not know exactly what setting ‘richdocuments mobile_editing --value=“no”’ is supposed to accomplish, I cannot say if that is the cause of this. However, it does seem more than a little odd that a setting that appears to disable editing via mobile actually allows it.

Is there any news, update here?
Using the latest NC 28.0.2 and same problem.

The described workaround doesn’t work for me.
Android says that no app is linked to the doctype and tries to open it with my Google account, which is not what i want :wink:

Using a normal browser opening and editing docs in Nextcloud Office works like a charm.

Thx.

Because I had the same issue with Nextcloud 27 and after several feedbacks in Github it still could not solved, I additionally installed the Collabora CODE as docker on my Univention Corporate Server and switched from Nextcloud Office to Collabora CODE - works fine for me.

The issue is back for me as well, and the workaround I used previously no longer works. I updated to 28.0.2 today and that did not help. Uninstalling and reinstalling Nextcloud Office didn’t help either.

Nothing is logged in Nextcloud when I attempt to open a file from the Android app. I just see the spinning circle forever until I cancel the attempt.

I don’t understand how Nextcloud can be pushing this product as a commercial/corporate solution when they don’t even bother to provide support. On paper this is an excellent replacement for Google Drive or Sharepoint, but if such obvious bugs are not fixed for months or even years the product doesn’t match the hype. I’m disappointed because I recommended Nextcloud as a Google alternative for a long time but no longer do so because of the complete lack of interest in resolving issues.

Since this has not been fixed even after all of this time I can only assume that commercial customers have the same unresolved problem, unless there is a buggy version released for individuals and a functional version released to paying clients. Nothing wrong with that if that is the case but it should be clear on the documentation. Everything I can find seems to say that there is only one version.

Two more examples of issues that just showed up and have never been really addressed:

The ‘The PHP OPcache module is not properly configured.’ error that shows up in the Admin page. General consensus seems to be to just ignore it, but if it’s not actually an issue it shouldn’t be showing up under ‘Security and Setup Warnings’, even after well over a year of support requests regarding this issue.

The 'Your web server is not properly set up to resolve “/ocm-provider/”. ’ that showed up with version 27. There are dozens of ‘solutions’ floating around out there, none of which seem to help for more than a few unique setups. There are also plenty of support requests for this issue in these forums that have simply been ignored.

I recommend to open a bug-report at Github.

Already done

1 Like

Please keep an eye on your bug-report, whether there will be posted requests for more details and you can follow the procedure of the handling.

Update your Android client to >3.27.0.

This was fixed already fixed. It was a regression specific to v3.27.0.

It’s not related to the original matter in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.