Cannot edit user groups despite being admin

Nextcloud version : Nextcloud 18.0.2

Hello community,

the little pencil symbol in the user management does not show up in my nextcloud. Is there perhaps a setting I am missing. Should I not be able to edit group memberships as soon as I am made admin? I can create groups but I cannot add members to them. There is one other user who is also admin who is able to edit group memberships. Are we missing some setting?
Thanks!

Kind regards
Hanno

Hi Hanno,

Have you tried it with a other browser or logged out and cleared your browsers cache restart the browser and try again.

If your in the admin group you should be able to edit users

good luck,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

thanks for suggestions! I have tried that but doesn’t change a thing.

What I have found: now that I added new users (before it was only me and other admin), i can also edit those users that I added. But I still cannot edit my own account or the account of the other user (also admin) who invited me to the nextcloud…

Are there any ‘deeper’ admin settings somewhere that i might not be aware of?

Kind regards

Probably this issue?

1 Like

There are Admin and Admins, and the documentation is not always totally clear.

There are Admins - and can be identified as such since they are members of the group “admin”. If you were an Admin I suspect you would not normally be having the problem.

Then there are Group Admins - any regular user can be made Group Admin (also called sub-Admin in some places) for one or more Groups.

The problem arises when the Group Admin is a member (say) of “Operations” group but is NOT a member of “everyone” Group.

We have arranged our NC so that:-

• Creating user accounts
    • Users self register their accounts via Registration module, or get added by Admins.
    • Group admins do NOT create users
      *Group Admin setup
    • Member of Groups for which they are admin
    • Member of Group “everyone”

If setup like that a Group Admin can scan down the list of user, and click the Pencil icon at far right for those they need to edit.