Cannot connect to help.nextcloud.com over IPv6, SSL handshake error that does not happen on v4

Was looking for some various documentation and upgrade guides and cannot seem to get to the help site right now, getting a TLS handshake error on v6 but not on v4. [I had to about:config my browser to disable v6 to connect and post this topic.]

New user issue: this forum would not let me post due to a 4-link limit even though it is a bug-report about the same link every time, so I am making is a reference:

HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM=https://help.nextcloud.com/

% curl -vsi ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM}
Connected to ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM} (2a01:4f9:2b:29dc::146) port 443 (#0)
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* LibreSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM}:443

% curl -4vsi ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM}
[succeeds]

I posted to Freenode#nextcloud and received confirmation others see the same thing or have noticed the same thing independently:

16:55:19 < Kelsar> pck: same here with openssl
16:56:07 < Kelsar> pck: interesting, that is an error i never have seen
16:57:45 < Kelsar> ah, it is the fallback error, if the library does not have handling for an error
17:00:54 < Kelsar> not even cipher negotation works there

05:59:11 < karolyi> also, ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM} isn’t working
05:59:34 < karolyi> * OpenSSL SSL_connect: Connection reset by peer in connection to ${HELP_NEXTCLOUD_COM}:443
06:06:17 < karolyi> still a no for me
06:06:51 < karolyi> hwm4rgs: it’s the ipv6 address that resets

I’m posting this in meta since it is apparently a server-side problem on the IPv6 handler for help.nextcloud.com itself.

1 Like

was already an issue in the past, I reopened:

Thanks for the hint.