Can not decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you

Hello,

I have a Nextcloud 10.0.3 installation where I used it as it is for a few days, upload a few files, share a few files and finally decided to enable the server side encryption app.

Now I get the following error messages from time to time on the nextcloud.log file:

Can not decrypt this file, probably this is a shared file. Please ask the file owner to reshare the file with you.

Does this mean that I have to unshare all the files and directories I have shared before enabling encryption and share them again ?

Regards,
H.N.

And you need to reshare them with groups when you add new group members. In your case all users need to generate their keys that you can share content with them.

All this encryption is complicated and can cause some trouble (especially if no proper backups are made) so that I wouldn’t use it unless for files on external storage (on local storage it does not really have any benefits, check the documentation).

Thanks for the hint!

Can you precise more your sentence “In your case all users need to generate their keys that you can share content with them” please?

Isn’t Nextcloud supposed to generate the key for each user automatically? or does this simply mean for a user to logout and login again?

A user has to login in order to create the keys. The private key is secured with the user’s password, so without a current session a key pair can’t be created.

When you say a user has to login, you mean through the web interface or through the desktop sync client or any of them?