Can I move files direct to Nextcloud?

I have installed Nextcloud and it works great. I will move from Pydio that I also had on the same server. Can I move the files direct to the nextrcloud from pydio without having to download tham first and then upload to Nextcloud. Its 11 GB and my upload speed is bad

Regards

Anders Yuran

4 Likes

yes, you can.

There is a process to manually add files, then have nextcloud to scan those files to add them to the database:

Step 1:
copy/past teh files you want to add to the final location/folder/users you want to use. Can be made by whatever way you want, i parsonnaly used ftp.

Step 2:
using ssh, you have occ command to scan/add them to the database.
as said in doc : https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9.0/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#file-operations-label

occ has three commands for managing files in Nextcloud:

files:cleanup              cleanup filecache
 files:scan                 rescan filesystem
 files:transfer-ownership   All files and folders are moved to another
                            user - shares are moved as well.

10 Likes

Yes, you can.
When in Windows, create a WebDav link as a folder or as a network drive. Just copy the webdav link that shows up in the settings (click the settings icon in the bottom left of the browser window). Use this in the screen to create a netwok folder (right click on My Computer in the explorer).
After that you can just move or copy content to the nextcloud folders.

Hi!
Thanks. I used occ to rescan the nextcloud datafolder where I had placed the files using the Plesk file manager. It worked perfect.

Hi there,
i also had to
chown -R www-data:www-data <path/to/new/files>
in order for nextcloud to be able to access them correctly after the rescan.
Cheers!

1 Like

@Polo
Yes. Because your Webservice (Apache2 with PHP, MariaDB, Nextcloud, …) runs with the user “www-data” and the group “www-data”.

Hi, I plan to do the same as topic author but I am a newbie in terms of RPi/Linux. My server works fine using cloudflare and ngnix. I would like to copy files directly to my NextCloud files location (HDD attached to RPi) instead of uploading them, and to be able to see them in WebGUI and later share them. I tried what you suggested, in putty used occ command
sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan --all
I also tried
chown -R www-data:www-data <path/to/new/files> with my actual path of course
but new files are not shoiwing up in NextCloud WebGUI. Do you have any hints for me what else I should try? I am runninf RPi 4, OMV5, docker container iinstalation on external HDD. I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

First give permissions:

chown -R www-data:www-data <path/to/new/files>

And then do the scan

cd "path/to/occ/file"
sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan --all

Did you try in this order?

Yes I did. After refreshing or server restart new files are still not visible.

occ file is located in
/srv/HDD/NAS/NextCloud
new files and all the files I keep in NextCloud are stored here
/srv/HDD/NAS/NextCloud/data/admin/files

maybe this is where my problem lies?

Edit: Finally I installed different version - NextCloundPi and it works exactly as I wanted.