Call for testing: Nextcloud snap v11.0.3snap2

Hey there everyone.

This is a cross-post from the snapcraft forums. We’re getting ready to release a new version of the Nextcloud snap with a few new features, including

• Supporting changing ports from the default 80/443.
  • Supporting Samba shares.

We’d love this new version (particularly these new features) to get some exercise before we release it. Feel like helping? We’ve put together some smoke tests to get you started:

Please test all you can, but if you only have time to focus on the smoke tests covering the new features, that would still be very useful. Thank you!

Let me know if you have any questions.

hi,

is that package in a snap channel?
I only see there:

tracking:    stable
installed:   11.0.3snap1 (1288) 162MB -
refreshed:   2017-04-30 08:28:10 +0000 UTC
channels:                           
  stable:    11.0.3snap1     (1288) 162MB -
  candidate: 11.0.3snap1     (1313) 170MB -
  beta:      latest-stable11 (1280) 162MB -
  edge:      latest-master   (1279) 162MB -

the next thing is, how do I backup a currently installed snap so I can restore it if anything fails?

Yeah it’s the one in the candidate channel. We lose two channels to our daily builds, and the remainder isn’t quite enough to fit perfectly into our workflow. Though nowadays, I should just claim a track for dailies-- I’ll look into that. Regardless, I updated the version in candidate to be more clear, thanks for that :slight_smile: .

First of all, I don’t really recommend testing a release candidate on a production deployment, just to be absolutely safe.

That said, if you backed up the /var/snap/nextcloud directory (that will back up the raw data as well by default, but back it up yourself if you put it somewhere else) you would be good, but note that installing a new revision of the snap does this for you (mostly: it doesn’t back up the raw data). This allows you to revert back when you’re done testing (though note that any changes you make before the revert will be lost):

$ sudo snap install nextcloud # installing from stable
$ sudo snap refresh --candidate nextcloud # trying out the RC
$ sudo snap revert # when I'm done testing and want to go back to stable

Despite my warnings about testing RCs on production, testing on production data is of course super useful. Personally, my production setup is the snap installed in lxc. So I make sure the data backup that I take periodically is up-to-date, then just clone the container and test the upgrade on it.

1 Like

as I am using it primarily as a mirror at home and the primary setup is on my server at a datacenter, its not that critical.

thanks for the infos, as for samba, it doesn’t recognize my shares, while my primary nextcloud works with the identical settings (they are in the same VPN).

unfortunately the nextcloudbox stopped logging since 30.April, I don’t know why.

It only shows a “red icon” and won’t tell my why it refuses working.

smbclient -L shows me that the ncbox reaches the share:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]

Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        Storage         Disk      Net Storage Device
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (ubuntu-gamestore server (Samba, Ubuntu))
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.3.11-Ubuntu]

Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        UBUNTU-GAMESTOR      ubuntu-gamestore server (Samba, Ubuntu)

Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP

additional to that, this version tells me that is has issues with webdav, but it works.

Dein Webserver ist noch nicht hinreichend für Datei-Synchronisation konfiguriert, da die WebDAV-Schnittstelle vermutlich nicht funktioniert.

Besides it mourns that I am using http only but thats ok, because I encrypt via Openvpn, so double encryption is not needed.

Alright thanks for the feedback. I don’t use samba here and have no experience with it, but if you wouldn’t mind adding that comment to the samba bug the developer who added the feature can take a look.

isn’t a new issue better to keep one thread more tidied up?

Yeah that’s fine, thanks :slight_smile: .

We removed the port changing capability from this release. We’ll have to wait until LP: #1690906 is fixed before we re-introduce.

We also had to remove the samba feature as it broke things on armhf (and potentially other architectures). Thanks to @dev0 for testing and logging the issue!

v11.0.3snap2-rc2 is building with the changes, and will be released into the candidate channel as soon as it’s done. That makes this purely a security release, with the following changelog:

v 11.0.3snap2
  - redis: upgrade to 3.2.8
  - apache: remove weak 3DES SSL algorithms
  - ci: don't verify checksum for daily builds

no problem, how can I switch to the main version after the rcs, can I just install it over, or do I need to revert and upgrade after it?

You mean once 11.0.3snap2 is actually released into stable? Just sudo snap refresh --stable nextcloud.

Thanks to all the testers! We’ve released v11.0.3snap2 with the smaller feature set: everyone should automatically update shortly.

thanks that worked perfectly.