Call for how-to/FAQ topics

Hi folks,

As I donā€™t do much in the way of coding Iā€™ve been considering other things I could do thatā€™d be beneficial to the project and community while Iā€™m at the Nextcloud Conference. Given the close proximity to the devs itā€™s a good opportunity to get questions answered and explore both gaps in my own knowledge and the issues/scenarios/requests that come up frequently for which thereā€™s no documented answer.

Iā€™ve made a start in the How-to category with the How-to/FAQ WIKI however itā€™s looking a little sparse at the moment.

To the community:

If you feel particular topics or questions come up often and need a standard answer we can link to, go ahead and add it in post 2 of the How-to/FAQ WIKI by clicking the little pencil icon to make an edit. Itā€™s a WIKI so almost everyone can edit, but if you donā€™t have permissions to do so, send me a DM and Iā€™ll add your suggestion in.

Iā€™d like to transform that topic into something of a mega-topic for getting started and basic troubleshooting with relevant headings, so in the end we can all point new/existing users to the WIKI for a number of common issues, but this requires far more contribution to the how-to category and is likely a way off yet.

With that said, I think with a bit of input now from the community we can get the wheels in motion.

Thanks!

3 Likes

This thread is one point we could discuss:

I still need to schedule my trip but itā€™s looking like I will make it :smiley:

2 Likes

iā€™m not sure there will be any solution to that discussion. itā€™s all gonna end up in two (at least) different POVs in the end. NC thinking that they are for home-users as well (there are some good points that would prove that assumption right) and on the other hand users who think that NC doesnā€™t do enough to get the unexperienced homeuser in (who is usually used to click & then it runs without further tweaking)ā€¦ and there are some good points to this assumption as well.

so i, at the moment, would rather link to the discussion going on than to really have a solution.

whereas i do find the discussion itself very helpful. and neccessary. for both sides.

Itā€™s more constructive I think to work toward an official statement as a first draft and build on or otherwise these topics will keep popping up with no progress

so the ball is in NCā€™s court then, i thinkā€¦
letā€™s see if @jospoortvliet could helpā€¦ ^^

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is Nextcloud for Home Enthusiasts or Home Experts?

A HowToFAQ on file permissions and umask would be great I think especially as to its application in Nextcloud. As a PC enthusiast and Linux novice I know how important file permissions can be for security and preventing inadvertent file management mistakes. I have delved into the topic occasionally but not often so I forget how it all works and moreover I would want to know exactly what NC recommends and the consequences of the various options out there ā€“ all in one place. That would be very helpful for folks in my situation. Thanks.

Few Days ago I finished a Poor manā€™s High availability Cluster running Nextcloud. havenā€™t found something in the Documentation, regarding Corosync/Pacemaker so I decided to roll my own.

Possibly itā€™s worth a look, but i know it needs a little bit more shape too. From my point of view its not completely shaped, but nearly feature complete.

Building a Nexctloud Cluster Index of contents

Kind regards.

2 Likes

I would like to publish a sticky post with all the Nextcloud apps that are unmaintained/not in the store/etc.

That way the number of questions about ā€œis there an appā€¦ā€ could be reduced greatly and maybe somebody interested picks up such an app and makes it work again/puts it in the app store.

1 Like

Iā€™d fully encourage you to do this, create a topic in the Apps category and Iā€™ll WIKI it so others can contribute. Thereā€™s no less work if one of the mods look to make this as we all need to do the same level of research.