Calendar App Refuses to Show Events from Subscribed Calendars

System Info

Nextcloud version: 28.01 via AIO v7.9.0
Operating system and version: Armbian 23.02.2 Bullseye with Linux 6.1.11-meson64
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.58
Reverse Proxy: Nginx Proxy Manager v2.10.4
PHP version: PHP 8.1.26

The issue you are facing:

I’m trying to add read-only calendar subscriptions in the Calendar app (New Calendar >> New Subscription from Link) using the “secret address in iCal format” from both publicly visible and private Google calendars. I can add the subscriptions without errors appearing in the Logging app. The calendars I add via link are listed on the left side of the Calendar app, but the events from those calendars never appear on the Nextcloud Calendar itself. The same is true if I try to add a holiday calendar (New Calendar >> Add public holiday calendar >> my country).

Following the solutions to similar-seeming problems discussed on this forum and on Github, I’ve made sure that I have Cron enabled (in the “Basic Settings” area under Administration settings), and it’s showing cron as running every five minutes (there’s a green banner at the top of the page indicating the number of minutes since the last time cron ran successfully).

I’ve also changed the refresh calendar subscription refresh rate, following the Nextcloud AIO docs (and in a previous, non-AIO install, the general Nextcloud and Calendar App docs) for how to run occ commands (as the www-data user for Nextcloud AIO, as the docs indicate): sudo docker exec --user www-data -it nextcloud-aio-nextcloud php occ config:app:set dav calendarSubscriptionRefreshRate --value "PT5M". This didn’t solve the problem, though (it’s now been 24 hours and the events from the subscriptions still don’t show).

I saw elsewhere, I think on Reddit, somone solving this problem by clearing their opcache, but I haven’t managed to figure out how to do that.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (N):

I initially had this issue running Nextcloud via docker-compose using the linuxserver.io Nextcloud and SWAG (reverse proxy) containers. I figured I did something wrong because I was having some other miscilaneous issues and switched over to Nextcloud AIO (again using docker-compose). Everything is working great except Calendar - still having the same problem.

I’m at a total loss. I’ve checked my port allowances in UFW and in my router/firewall, and everything necessary looks to be open. But something weird seems to be going on on my end.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to a specific calendar in Google Calendar, retrieve the “secret address in iCal format”
  2. Use iCal link to add read-only calendar subscription in Nextcloud Calendar
  3. Wait for events from calendar subscriptions to appear

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'one-click-instance' => true,
  'one-click-instance.user-limit' => 100,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'apps_paths' =>
  array (
    0 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/var/www/html/apps',
      'url' => '/apps',
      'writable' => false,
    ),
    1 =>
    array (
      'path' => '/var/www/html/custom_apps',
      'url' => '/custom_apps',
      'writable' => true,
    ),
  ),
  'appsallowlist' =>
  array (
  ),
  'check_data_directory_permissions' => false,
  'memcache.distributed' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'memcache.locking' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\Redis',
  'redis' =>
  array (
    'host' => 'nextcloud-aio-redis',
    'password' => '<sanitized>',
    'port' => 6379,
  ),
  'overwritehost' => 'subdomain.mydomain.net',
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'passwordsalt' => '<sanitized>',
  'secret' => '<sanitized>',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => 'subdomain.mydomain.net',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/mnt/ncdata',
  'dbtype' => 'pgsql',
  'version' => '28.0.1.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://subdomain.mydomain.net/',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud_database',
  'dbhost' => 'nextcloud-aio-database',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'oc_nextcloud',
  'dbpassword' => '<sanitized>',
  'installed' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'oclb5e09zlhd',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'updatedirectory' => '/nc-updater',
  'loglevel' => '2',
  'app_install_overwrite' =>
  array (
    0 => 'nextcloud-aio',
    1 => 'files_rightclick',
  ),
  'log_type' => 'file',
  'logfile' => '/var/www/html/data/nextcloud.log',
  'log_rotate_size' => '10485760',
  'log.condition' =>
  array (
    'apps' =>
    array (
      0 => 'admin_audit',
    ),
  ),
  'preview_max_x' => '2048',
  'preview_max_y' => '2048',
  'jpeg_quality' => '60',
  'enabledPreviewProviders' =>
  array (
    1 => 'OC\\Preview\\Image',
    2 => 'OC\\Preview\\MarkDown',
    3 => 'OC\\Preview\\MP3',
    4 => 'OC\\Preview\\TXT',
    5 => 'OC\\Preview\\OpenDocument',
    6 => 'OC\\Preview\\Movie',
    7 => 'OC\\Preview\\Krita',
    0 => 'OC\\Preview\\Imaginary',
  ),
  'enable_previews' => true,
  'upgrade.disable-web' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'trashbin_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 30',
  'versions_retention_obligation' => 'auto, 30',
  'activity_expire_days' => '30',
  'simpleSignUpLink.shown' => false,
  'share_folder' => '/Shared',
  'one-click-instance.link' => 'https://nextcloud.com/all-in-one/',
  'upgrade.cli-upgrade-link' => 'https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one/discussions/2726',
  'allow_local_remote_servers' => true,
  'davstorage.request_timeout' => 3600,
  'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
  'dbpersistent' => false,
  'files_external_allow_create_new_local' => false,
  'trusted_proxies' =>
  array (
    0 => '127.0.0.1',
    1 => '::1',
  ),
  'preview_imaginary_url' => 'http://nextcloud-aio-imaginary:9000',
  'twofactor_enforced' => 'true',
  'twofactor_enforced_groups' =>
  array (
    0 => 'admin',
    1 => 'users',
  ),
  'twofactor_enforced_excluded_groups' =>
  array (
  ),
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

can't find this

Output of errors

Error	no app in context	
DbalException An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42703]: Undefined column: 7 ERROR: column polls_polls..deleted does not exist LINE 1: ...polls_polls"."owner" = "shares"."user_id") WHERE ("polls_pol... ^ HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "polls_polls.deleted".
Exception thrown: OC\DB\Exceptions\DbalException
Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:12 PM 	
Error	no app in context	
DbalException An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[42703]: Undefined column: 7 ERROR: column polls_polls..deleted does not exist LINE 1: ...polls_polls"."owner" = "shares"."user_id") WHERE ("polls_pol... ^ HINT: Perhaps you meant to reference the column "polls_polls.deleted".
Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:12 PM 	
Error	no app in context	
Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:10 PM 	
Error	no app in context	
Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:09 PM 	
Error	no app in context	
Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:02 PM 	
Error	cron	
DbalException An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[25P02]: In failed sql transaction: 7 ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
Dec 28, 2023, 6:31:15 PM 	
Error	core	
DbalException An exception occurred while executing a query: SQLSTATE[25P02]: In failed sql transaction: 7 ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
Error while running background job (class: OCA\Files\BackgroundJob\ScanFiles, arguments: )
Error	files	
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Reasons to use Nextcloud.pdf): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Dec 28, 2023, 6:00:59 PM 	
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Readme.md): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Yellow idea.odp): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Readme.md): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Gotong royong.odp): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Invoice.odt): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Dec 28, 2023, 6:00:58 PM 	
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Mother's day.odt): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Simple.odp): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Mindmap.odg): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Business model canvas.ods): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Syllabus.odt): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Dec 28, 2023, 6:00:57 PM 	
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Org chart.odg): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Letter.odt): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Meeting notes.md): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Diagram & table.ods): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Modern company.odp): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Expense report.ods): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Dec 28, 2023, 6:00:56 PM 	
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Business model canvas.odg): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
file_get_contents(/mnt/ncdata/josh/files/Templates/Product plan.md): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory at /var/www/html/lib/private/Files/Storage/Local.php#327
Error	PHP	
imagettftext(): Could not read font at /var/www/html/custom_apps/richdocuments/lib/Service/FontService.php#228
Dec 28, 2023, 3:28:21 PM 	
Error	PHP	
imagettftext(): Could not read font at /var/www/html/custom_apps/richdocuments/lib/Service/FontService.php#228
Error	PHP	

1 Like

I have exactly the same issue; I can subscribe to external shared ICS cals in Nextcloud, such as Google, but no data ever shows up. The reverse does work; sharing a calendar in Nextcloud shows data when used elsewhere.

I’m using a hosted system with admin, with Webo.

Nextcloud version: 28.0.1
Operating system and version: Almalinux 8.9
Apache or nginx version: Apache/2.4.37
Reverse Proxy: nginx/1.24.0
PHP version: 8.1

NickP

1 Like

+1, one microsoft calendar and one google calender but nothing is shown in the app

1 Like

There’s already an issue on GitHub: Add ICS calendar not work · Issue #5641 · nextcloud/calendar · GitHub

…which is probably caused by this: Subscription Calendar Events are not returned by REPORT dav request · Issue #42143 · nextcloud/server · GitHub

1 Like