[Bug][Help] VCARD V3.0 Photos

Welcome to the contacts help section!
Please read the following rules before creating a new topic:

1. This is a forum for help and questions related to the use of the nextcloud contacts app only
  2. If you encounter a bug, please report here after searching for potential similar existing issues!
  3. For any suggestions, please also head over to https://github.com/nextcloud/contacts/issues/

Thanks a lot! :hugs:

Just installed Nextcloud to a server and I am so impressed - super cool !!

Trying to move away from Google so trying to first of all get the contacts in to Nextcloud.

I have exported them using the Google Contact web app. which created VCARD V3.0 files.
Before doing this I exported them from the Android app however these only created V2.0 VCARDS.

Anyway the v3.0 cards import and created contract records however the only problem is that the Photos are missing.

Its actually a little bit more than just this because when there is a embedded image in the VCARD the resultant Nextcloud entry doesn’t allow an photo to be added where as if the imported VCARD had no image embedded it does allow an image to be added after import.

Any workaround here or advice or have I stumbled on a known issue ? If so where is the problem with VCARD in general, the Google export or the Nextcloud import ?

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

What nextcloud version are you using?
Does the picture appear when you click on the contact?

I will need your browser console log to investigate this issue.
Open your console, reload your page and/or do the action leading to this issue and copy/paste the log in this thread.

How to access your browser console (Click to expand)

Chrome

• Press either CTRL + SHIFT + J to open the “console” tab of the Developer Tools.
  • Alternative method:
    1. Press either CTRL + SHIFT + I or F12 to open the Developer Tools.
    2. Click the “console” tab.

Safari

• Press CMD + ALT + I to open the Web Inspector.
  • See Chrome’s step 2. (Chrome and Safari have pretty much identical dev tools.)

IE9

1. Press F12 to open the developer tools.
  2. Click the “console” tab.

Firefox

• Press CTRL + SHIFT + K to open the Web console (COMMAND + SHIFT + K on Macs).
  • or, if Firebug is installed (recommended):
    1. Press F12 to open Firebug.
    2. Click on the “console” tab.

Opera

1. Press CTRL + SHIFT + I to open Dragonfly.
  2. Click on the “console” tab.
2 Likes

Hello @nickelnoff, any news?

Picking up, as I seem to have the same issue.
Nothing in the console, I’d say, only “The following contact needed a correction that failed: duplicate types” which doesn’t seem relevant.

Otoh, checking the media info, I see something that might be relevant. The VCARD exported by google contains url’s for photo, not embedded pictures.

Could it be it?

Oh, that is interesting!!
Could you post the exported google contact here? (you can edit the sensitive data)

1 Like

(about 4 years later, exact same problem)

Sure! The exported google contacts looks like this (after some anonymization):

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
FN:John Doe
N:John;Doe;;;
TEL;TYPE=CELL:+32423456789
PHOTO:https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/contacts/AOq4LdaI1ZQRwfU5jN0RL90eYR
 QPkKaQ_cjbWNE5BlWLHOagycw4x1VJ
CATEGORIES:myContacts
END:VCARD

The “PHOTO” field spans two lines, if you concatenate both lines you get (if I hadn’t anonymized) a
Length: 2602 (2.5K) [image/jpeg] (as reported by ‘wget’)

Also interesting: if I import such contacts in Nextcloud, it seems as though the ‘PHOTO’ information vanishes… but if I export the contact again from within Nextcloud, the ‘PHOTO’ field appears also there with the same content, but the field name has been changed to `PHOTO;VALUE=BINARY:'.

(I think I read somewhere that Google switched to URLs instead of embedded pictures, to make the contact-syncing with phones less resource-heavy)

Any plans for Nextcloud to either support importing contact photo’s by URL, or to actually store them by URL itself?

Thanks,
Stefaan

This situation looks similar to the following bug report. If you agree, give that Issue a :+1: so the developers know it’s impacting someone else (it helps prioritize resources).