Best practice when using Photoprism with Nextcloud AIO?

Nextcloud version: 27.1.3 (using Nextcloud AIO v7.7.0)
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Apache or nginx version: (unknown, whatever NC AIO is using)
PHP version: (unknown, whatever NC AIO is using)

The issue you are facing: I want to install Photoprism with Nextcloud AIO. However, I’m not sure the best way to go about connecting my Photoprism folder with my Nextcloud instance.

I know I can connect the two via WebDAV, but because both docker containers are running on the same machine, I’d like for them to just share files without having two copies of every photo on the machine.
I also know I could mount the folder within the nextcloud-aio-nextcloud volume directly to Photoprism, but I’m not sure if interfacing directly with a volume like that is considered “best practice” (i.e., mounting /var/lib/docker/volumes/nextcloud_aio_nextcloud_data/_data/<user>/ to Photoprism’s photoprism/originals).

What is the best approach here? Should I even bother with Photoprism? I only looked into Photoprism because my experience with the auto-upload feature in Nextcloud’s iOS app was so awful.

1 Like

You wouldn’t want to mount the Nextcloud folder into Photoprism as Nextcloud doesn’t poll the dir for changes automatically, information about what files you have is stored in the database. Webdav could work, but there is significant performance overhead there. Direct disk access would be ideal IMHO

What I would recommend to do is enable External storage support, mount a separate folder somewhere in your containers and then add the folder into Nextcloud. For example I do this with Paperless:

volumes:
      - ./volumes/nextcloud:/var/www/html
      - ../paperless-ngx/volumes/consume:/var/www/paperless/consume
      - ../paperless-ngx/volumes/media/documents:/var/www/paperless/documents:ro

The difficult part was setting the permissions for the shared folder as my containers for Paperless and Nextcloud use different UID and GID numbers

Hi, why not use Memories instead of Photoprism?

See https://github.com/nextcloud/all-in-one/tree/main/community-containers/memories