Backup Tool for Nextcloud?

Rsync can do both, push or pull. For example from or to a Synology NAS. :wink:

Then how and where did you install Nextcloud in the first place?

Again, how and where did you install Nextcloud? Via WSL2 on your Windows PC? If so, maybe you can somehow backup the whole VM in regular intervals. However, it’s been a while since I used Windows on a regular basis, so I can’t help with that.

Yeah you should definitely do that. That way at least your files are backed-up. However, in case of a disaster, you would have to set up Nextcloud again, create all user accounts again and copy the files back. This would also mean that all the shares, all the app data, settings, calendar and contact data etc. will be gone.

I did not install it .
I am only the admin of nextcloud account of our relief workers group.
We had nextcloud for many years now, but this was installed by someone and since then I was just greating users, groups, folders and putting data to the right place for all members of our team.

The first one runs on a synology Server, but there is just acces to the nextcloud. The second which we are just trying to replace was some old server. But also this was jsut onec installed by someone and now broken. So now we have new nextcloud, I have no idea who did install it. We have our url and there ist the nextcloud as it was for some 8years or so.

well theonly thing I would like to backup is the work folder as this is in use and changes frequntly.
I do not care abt the rest so much, as the previous server we simply did dispose off and copied the work folder to a usb stick.
It can go to where ever, but I just thought that nextcloud will have some build in tool for that as for example our synology does. Simply make a copy of the work folder in regular times. Thats all.

That would be a question for synology.

If your intention is not to understand Linux and not to administer your box it is very important that you not be personally responsible for maintaining this machine. I recommend you find someone else as soon as possible since you have no intention of figuring this out. You can also move to hosted Nextcloud and pay someone to host Nextcloud for you, because it is only a matter of time before this system totally fails for you since you do not know how to maintain it. Good luck.

3 Likes

Excellent, any further Nextcloud specific questions can be made in a new thread. Best of luck with it. Closing this topic to avoid it going off-topic. Thanks, and please do see the previous suggestions in this thread if you decide you want to take a more hands-on approach in backing up and restoring your data.