Avoiding NTFS Reparse Points

Hello,

Due to the nature of the files I’m working on, I’m usually accessing them from both Windows and Linux on the same machine. I only have one local copy of the files, hosted on my Windows partition - and only one instance of the Nextcloud client, on Windows as well. This usually allows me to reboot into Linux from time to time, work on whatever I need to work on including sometimes accessing and modifying the Nextcloud files, then reboot into Windows to sync changes.

This has become unpractical lately due to the use of a NTFS feature on Windows: reparse points, a feature that already was cumbersome to deal with when facing OneDrive shenanigans. These reparse points can not be reliably accessed from other operating systems.

I’d like to toggle some switch in my Nextcloud client configuration, to tell it to stop using reparse point completely and just store the files as usual. How can I do this? Thanks

Never read about such an option.

Please think about using the client sync separated for each OS to avoid such issues.

I don’t think that the Nextcloud Client can do much about that. This functionality is handeld on the OS level or more precisely by the driver for the filessystem. On Linux the NTFS-3G is used to mount the file system into user space via FUSE. All relavant features should be supported in Linux…

NTFS-3G supports all operations for writing files: files of any size can be created, modified, renamed, moved, or deleted on NTFS partitions. Transparent compression is supported, as well as system-level encryption.[6] Support to modify access control lists and permissions is available.[7] NTFS partitions are mounted using the Filesystem in Userspace (FUSE) interface. NTFS-3G supports hard links, symbolic links, and junctions. With the help of NTFS reparse point plugins, it can be made to read chunk-deduplicated files, system-compressed files, and OneDrive files.[8] NTFS-3G provides complete support and translation of NTFS access control list (ACL) to POSIX ACL permissions. A “usermap” utility is included to record the mapping from UIDs to Windows NT SIDs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

Unfortunately you did not give us any details what exactly is not working for you and which Linux distro in which version you are using. What I can say is that when you use a current Windows version, it is generally a good idea to also use the most recent NTFS-3G version. Sidenote: Starting with kernel version 5.15, NTFS support has been natively integrated into the Linux kernel.

I also did a quick Google search on “NTFS-3g” and “NTFS Reparse Points” and actually didn’t find much about any issues with it. So I can only say that it should work in principle…

https://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/junctions.html

And here is someone who had problems with it in an older Ubuntu version…

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ntfs-3g/+bug/1728354

…but this is probably no longer relevant in newer versions.

1 Like

No, it’s broken.

Yeah, congratulations on being the first project to have this broken.