Authentication is required when viewing a PDF via WebDAV

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): centOS 7.9
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.46
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
I am in great trouble.
When viewing a PDF via WEBDEV, nextcloud ID and PASS are required.
You will be asked to authenticate each time you open the PDF.
You can view the PDF without entering your ID and PASS.

Supporting SSL did not solve the problem,
I think it is a setting on the Apache side, so disable the mod_dav and mod_dav_fs modules
I did, but it didn’t improve.

The image that asks for authentication is as follows.
Sorry for the language in Japan.

The translation of the image is described below.

サーバーがユーザー名とパスワードを要求しております。
The server is requesting a username and password.

サーバーからの報告:”nextcloud”
Report from server: “nextcloud”

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):Y

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

Authentication is required only when using acrobat reader DC.

I think it is also the case for documents in MS Office. There were some topic, I’m not sure if that was related to Windows that created new connections for programs using webdav. So there were always these downsides of the native webdav implementation, it was better with external solutions (mountain duck, net drive, … → all paid). The new NC client comes with a virtual drive feature, it was just released…

1 Like

That’s not a Nextcloud bug, that’s a WINDOWS bug that has been around since the beginning of time;

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c6455800-ef87-4ebb-bf1e-5f3fdb098de2/when-opening-a-pdf-or-ms-office-file-from-a-webdav-mapped-drive-the-user-is-prompted-to-reenter?forum=W8ITProPreRel

Apparently when you mount a filesystem on windows, you’re not actually mounting it.

Solution: don’t use windows.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

Is there a good site to learn about the virtual drive features of the new NC client?

On a quick check, I didn’t see any changes in the documentation for this feature. It’s really brand new with the current 3.2.0 branch. So there was just some beta testing, now more and more people are going to use it and hopefully they will add specific information to the documentation as well.
I’d carefully check the client, most should be visible through the file menu within windows (right mouse click). The update wasn’t even pushed to all clients yet. Report bugs to the developers.

1 Like

Thank you tell me more.

Where can I find the document?

There is just some initial announcement: Nextcloud introduces Virtual Drive in Desktop Client to simplify desktop integration – Nextcloud

After that, certain parts were completely rewritten, so this is not up to date any more. At the moment you can just install it and play around a bit. In the best case, it shouldn’t need a lot of documentation and the interface should be clear enough. Later, there should be more information in the official docs: Nextcloud Desktop Client Manual — Nextcloud Client Manual 3.0 documentation

With early versions of new features, I’m a bit careful. There still can be a few bugs but testing yourself has the advantage to test everything in your typical environment and if you find issues you can report them to the bugtracker (GitHub - nextcloud/desktop: 💻 Desktop sync client for Nextcloud).

1 Like