Asustor Nas PHP different from Docker/Nextcloud PHP

Hey!

I recently purchased an Asus Nas AS5304T for the ease of use and have Nextcloud up and running quickly and easily on a DMZ’d network.

However over the past week (upon discovering I could not find the correct php.ini), I realized that my Docker / Nextcloud instance is running a different version of php than I have installed directly onto the Nas.

My phpinfo, phpmyadmin, and Asustor web service all show that I am running 8.1.18 while my portainer / nextcloud instance show I am running 8.2.14.

What is a good way to go about diagnosing this discrepancy?

Thanks in advanced.

That’s expected. Docker images contain their own dependencies (like PHP). The only things shared with the underlying host (your NAS in this case) are the kernel and, depending on how the container is configured, possibly some files.

To a large extent this independence is the entire point of using containers/Docker. It means that you can have the most appropriate version of various dependencies installed for the application being hosted within a given container. And it means you can run things even if the underlying host OS distribution doesn’t support them (e.g. running newer versions of Nextcloud Server on older underlying hosts that don’t have support for newer PHP versions).

2 Likes

Docker is a container engine, and the containers that it runs come with their own software and libraries: What is a container? | Docker Docs

1 Like

Thanks for replying so fast.

I assumed this was the case, but was confused when I was following the asustor docker install info.

I’m more of a qemu person so this makes sense in the aspect of docker having separate containerized installations, but why is Asustor suggesting installing php directly onto the nas? Am I just naively thinking there will be some kind of bridge out of docker or am I just processing this incorrectly?

Nextcloud on Asustor

I don’t know, but maybe because they want to compete with Synology, and in order to do that, they need some kind of file sharing and groupware solution. And offering Nextcloud as an app is cheaper than developing their own solution :wink:

It looks like this method installs Nextcloud natively on top of the LAMP stack provided by the Asustor OS, or whatever they call their NAS OS, so there is probably no virtualisation or containerisation involved by installing it this way. It also looks like they are offering an ancient version of Nextcloud, or perhaps they just never bothered to update the screenshots. :wink:

Nevertheless, that’s not the installation method you have used, is it?

1 Like

Nevertheless, that’s not the installation method you have used, is it?
[/quote]

Yes and No. :grimacing:
I did follow this to a T, in my laziness, up to the OpenOffice part. But looking back at the date of the write up, I can’t tell a year ago if Nextcloud was natively supported for ADM in 2022.
However you can only install it through Docker at the current moment.

But thinking all of this through made me understand exactly what I was missing.
I don’t know why I thought they were hinting at the idea of a php server and not individualized versions of php.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.